Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past week its been near 10 below and -25 windchill. ive been plugging in my truck everynight and during the day at school. i realized this morning that my heater burned out because when i went to start it cranked really slow like it does when i forget to plug it in. I tried plugging it in at school too but had the same results. I was wondering how to replace the heater myself or if i should take it and have a shop do it. I dont really have the money required to have someone else do it though. I already have a working heater from my old block. can i reuse this heater or do i have to get a new one?

·
Registered
45 Posts
i posted the same ? yesterday and a couple of the guys here told me that the cord is usally the problem so i went out today and got a new cord and it works fine now and very easy to change

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
It's not complicated, but the cord is definitely much more likely to fail than the heater (the heater itself just about never fails - the cord goes out quite frequently). A new cord shouldn't cost a lot and as I recall it just plugs into the heater, no wiring necessary.

If you do decide you need to replace the heater itself, it isn't too difficult. It's just like changing a freeze plug... Drain the radiator, pull the heater, and install the new one...

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Hey sootman62... I was just looking around in your garage... How far do you have your injection pump turned up?!?!?!?! :cool2:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
actually i didnt turn it up myself. thats how it ran when i got it from a junkyard to replace the one i had blown. my old engine ran the same way but only at redline. this one puffs more smoke at any rpm. im gonna have it runnin through dual 4 in turnout stacks here pretty soon. :D

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
That's pretty impressive if you ask me... That pump must be cranked up pretty good. :cool:

Just be careful... Long runs with lots of smoke can create rather high exhaust gas temperatures...

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
mine had a bad heater...i installed a heater for a tractor in-line in the heater hose...heated better was easily accessible if ever i had a problem

1 - 7 of 7 Posts