Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After one month and zero progress at the body shop, they've decided that my frame needs to be replaced.

(See http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59008)

The original estimate was around $4,000 for the front end body work. After including the frame replacement their adjusted estimate is just shy of $10,000. The body shop rep. (replacing the very "promising" rep that was fired or terminated last week) said that it's not even at half the $ amount to total the truck. Call me old fashioned but hearing the words "Replace Frame" sends shivers up my spine. After looking at my options it appears that I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place and I'm going to go ahead with the repairs.

The revised estimate seems to be very low for the work he says they'll do to basically rebuild my truck on a new frame. Has anyone had any experience with this?

This is a 2006 GMC with LBZ / 6 speed Allison. Does this affect frame design / availability?

Is this as crazy as it all sounds? :help2:

On a lighter note, my truck sent me an email from the body shop today. (I signed up for the OnStar monthly diagnostics by email). She said that everything checked out just fine. I think she's just putting on a brave face and wants to come home... kinda brought a tear to my eye.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Read your first post , that was bad enough . If it now needs a frame on an '06 I would seriously be pushing hard for a new truck . You are talking thousands in dim. value . May be time for a lawyer . Good luck

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Remember, it's not like the old days. I had a dink hit me in front of the drivers wheel on my '97 Volvo 850, and swayed the nose HARD! Front wheel drive, transmission wouldn't shift, and passenger front door wouldn't open.

Wouldn't you know I got a young punk adjuster, who thought he knew more than my body guy who had at the time been in the business for 30+ years. My shop said total the car. At the time, the car was worth $17k wholesale. The FIRST estimate from the adjuster was $9k, and my body guy said there was WAY more to it. And there was...

All finished, the repairs tallied $15k+. The adjuster wnet on to lose his job, as after THREE adjustments, he still wouldn't total the vehicle. Anyway,
the body shop used all original Volvo parts, put the car on the rack and dialed it in with lasers and what-not. I drove that car for 30k miles more, and I swear, it drove BETTER than ever.

Moral of this long-winded story - a good shop can get it right. I wouldn't be scared, as long as you know the quality of the shop. The frames on our trucks are modular, so I'm assuming they would just be replacing the front. You always have the choice of trading it in if your not comfortable.

FWIW, I checked that Volvo on Carfax when my folks were looking for their 6.5 Suburban, and it returned a CLEAN report, no accidents. I guess it depends on who reports what.

The worst part is the wait. The good part, you're okay.

Good Luck,

Ty

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
On a lighter note, my truck sent me an email from the body shop today. (I signed up for the OnStar monthly diagnostics by email). She said that everything checked out just fine. I think she's just putting on a brave face and wants to come home... kinda brought a tear to my eye.
:funnypost

i would try to do something like get a new truck. because it isn't going to be the same again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replys.

I'd like nothing better than to have a new truck; but right now I own one that's partially disassembled, partially financed and sitting at the body shop. All the while I'm racking up daily rental car charges while the responsible party is under-insured and I've passed the rental coverages on my own policy.

Even if I could somehow convince them to total it I'd be looking at eating the depreciation for driving it off the new car lot and putting 1300 miles on it without even going into the diminished value discussion.

I trust the shop to do as good a job as possible on the repairs; but I'm more concerned about parts delays today. I feel stuck in the course of getting it repaired and dealing with potential trade-in losses down the road.

·
Registered
468 Posts
It sounds like a bunch of BS to me, I wouldn't trust them as far as I could spit. -:t

Call your insurance company and demand they total it and go get yourself another new truck. By the time they add 'diminished value' to your claim you'll approach 2/3 of the cost of a new truck.

First, study the fine print of your policy and get informed on what you're entitled to and quit listening to all the BS you're getting from everyone.

A totaled brand new truck with that few miles on it would likely be paid off 100% including the taxes by any reputable insurance company.

·
Registered
362 Posts
My buddy runs the parts at a Chevy dealership and i was in there not too long ago and they had a HD on the lift partially disassembled much like yours is. When I asked what was wrong with it he said they were replacing the frame. Just like you i was surprised. This guy was on a trip up to St. Louis from TX and there was a bolt that came loose on the front Suspension and wore the frame out. The frame could have been fixed but they actually said it was much easier to just warranty the entire frame and swap it out with better results. they said it was actually a common procedure. I wouldn't worry too much if the guys at your shop are good you will be fine. Don't get me wrong as soon as it was fixed i would be ready to unload it just for the simple fact that it was scratched!!!!!!!!!!!!! Once it gets a scratch I'm done with them! Ha Ha Ha

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Call your insurance company and demand they total it and go get yourself another new truck. By the time they add 'diminished value' to your claim you'll approach 2/3 of the cost of a new truck.

First, study the fine print of your policy and get informed on what you're entitled to and quit listening to all the BS you're getting from everyone.
This is the dilema, with my wife being an insurance adjustor, I understand what my insurance company is responsible for under my policy and this doesn't cover my losses which will exceed the liability limits of the responsible party. I could certainly make valid claim against him but would likely not collect.

My insurance company is State Farm which has been very good in responding to this and previous claims. they have an interesting page on Diminished value which does play well into my current situation: http://www.statefarm.com/media/dimvalue.htm
I don't consider their position unfair but it is not to helpful to me in my current circumstances.

State Farm has been great about not restricting repair options and I still believe that I'm forced into a "repair like new" situation even with its' inherent questions.

My only hope is to get their (State Farm's) help in expediting the repairs at their "approved" body shop.... which I also approve of. Not the best of positions but the best I can find tonight.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
... they actually said it was much easier to just warranty the entire frame and swap it out with better results. they said it was actually a common procedure. I wouldn't worry too much if the guys at your shop are good you will be fine.
Thanks, this was at least some confirmation of what the body shop rep told me... they do the frame swaps on a somewhat frequent basis now. This will help me sleep tonight that I might have my baby back to drive before Spring.

·
Registered
141 Posts
A frame swap is very stright forward and in a case like yours I'd rather have that than have it pulled. Did you take the truck to a shop your Ins. co. recommended? Ifso they very well may have to back up any warrenty that the shop gives, witch should be a lifetime on every thing but parts. A good collision repair will never wear out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts