Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen alot posts and pictures of frame mounted installs, but they all look to be extended or crew cabs. I have a reg. cab 4x4 and with the brake lines and anti-locking brake unit it doesn't leave much room . Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I'm not sure how much space is available inside the frame rails on a Reg Cab truck, but I'm nearly positive that Nick's filter kit will fit in the left rear wheel well.

TC

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I've comppared my frame rail to all the pictures I've seen and just seems like it would be a cramped looking install. I checked into Nick's filter and bracket and would buy it in a minute ,just having a little concern about the filter not having a drain on it the winter months in Ohio.

·
Registered
772 Posts
You've got me there. Dura-Max3, from the Diesel Page said he used them for thousands of miles in OTR trucks with no problems, though I don't know what conditions he drove in. The OEM filter is still there to intercept any water that gets past the CAT. I think Mackin has or is going to install one on his dually. Maybe he can play cold weather lab rat. And as everyone knows, he won't be shy about sharing his experiences.

By the way, I saw some of Nick's new brackets yesterday. They are beautifully made; like sculpture. If you do decide to go that way, you will be getting a first-class piece of work.

TCEdited by: Tsckey

·
Registered
91 Posts
10-ton

I have the same problem, Reg. Cab w/longbed. Fuel lines go right from the fuel tank/cooler to the alli, along it and up over it to the Duramax. No room between the frame. The engine compartment is not any better on these models with the revised AC condenser/location. I agreee we need a drain on the filter too here in OH. If you come up with any ideas let me know.

EngineerBill

·
Registered
71 Posts
Damn, I didn't even think of that. Nick, if you read this please reply. I just ordered a Nicktane about an hour ago and I have a reg cab long box. Is there enough room? Also, how much of a concern is the climate (drain)? I'm in Northern Michigan and it'll start snowing any day.

Thanks!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
EngineerBill

I've been thinking of calling Nick to see if he would just sell me the just the bracket. I think the location he uses is only decent option we have as far as pre-oem goes. I read on TDP that water would pass thru the cat and be caught by are oem, that's 2 chances that I don't know if I want to take. Racor has a nice unit with a drain and a heater but doesnot have the capacity of the cat.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Jgriffin187, my kit fits in front of the left-rear tire, therefore cab configuration makes zero difference.

as for a drain, i don't have an accurate answer for you. i believe water will pass through the CAT, per George Morrison's info. if so you'll be just fine. i've contemplated making another bracket that can hold 2 filters, a small racor w/ heat & water (30um) and the big CAT. however the racor assembly is about $200+ if i remember and that makes it an expensive option... i've got other CAT solutions for heaters, but not water. i asked my CAT guy today and he thought the water would pass through it also.. do you find a lot of water in your OEM filter during the winter? i know i'm in Cali, but i've never seen a drop in my oem..

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Diesel Power, appreciate the reply and sounds like I have all of my questions answered. I'll be getting in touch with you in the near future to order a kit, in a side note those new brackets look great. I have not seen any water yet in my oem, but yhe truck is only 3 months old.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts