Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have posted this before on other sites, figured I might as well save a few engines on this site as well. Check out the oil filter study here:

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

How about this email from a Allied Signal Production engineer(can be found on the same site posted above)

"
Russell,
I obtained great satisfaction from reading your oil filter survey.

I worked for two years as the oil-filter production line engineer in
an Allied-Signal FRAM facility and I can confirm every bad thing you
have said about FRAM automotive filters. That's from the horse's
mouth, as it were.

I'm also a quality engineer and can confirm that FRAM applies no
quality control whatsoever to any of the characteristics for which we
buy oil filters. I frequently saw filter designs which were barely
capable of meeting J806. Many of FRAM's designs will block and go to
bypass after trying to filter very little contamination. There were
often leakage paths at the paper end discs when these were not
properly centered on the elements. Some designs had the pleats so
tightly packed against the center tube that they would block off in no
time. I had discovered that the FRAM HP1 that I had been buying for
about $20 Cdn was EXACTLY the same as a PH8 inside - the only
difference being a heavier can - no advantages in flow capacity. The
paper filtration media was of apparently poor quality and the process
of curing the paper resin was very inconsistent - elements would range
from visibly burnt to white. FRAM's marketers admitted that there was
just about no way the public could ever prove that an oil filter
contributed, or did not prevent, engine damage. The only thing FRAM
tested for was can burst strength. Another problem that they have from
time to time is in threading the filter base - often there are strands
of metal left behind on a poorly formed thread.:eek:

I have not used a FRAM filter since I started working there. Their
claims are entirely and completely marketing bull****.

If people really want to protect their engines, a good air filter is
vital (which excludes FRAM from that list as well) and a combination
of one depth and one full-flow hydraulic filter, together in parallel,
will do the job of filtration to perfection.

Thanks for doing a great job in trying to get the truth out! You can
quote me anytime. "

You guys better think twice about running their crap on your rides.:badidea:

·
Registered
682 Posts
I Have Been Usin Fram For 45 Years And Still Tickin !!!! Car, Trucks, Boats What Ever!! Butt Everyone Has To Blame There Problems On Something..

Arm

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I Have Been Usin Fram For 45 Years And Still Tickin !!!! Car, Trucks, Boats What Ever!! Butt Everyone Has To Blame There Problems On Something..

Arm
Anyone can get lucky. If your engines do not produce much wear (and therefor wear material), a mediocre filter might do you fine for a long time, but all it takes is one piece of metal not filtered, to do a bunch of damage. Good Luck.

All you have to do is cut a fram filter open and take a look (compared to others). I was not a believer either until I had a Fram oil filter burst on my John Deere walk behind mower (17HP Kawasaki) motor with <20 hours on the filter (Fram P/N PH5129) which is also used for the following:

Fram PH2951 Extra Guard Oil Filter For Use With Allmand 88-85 Chevrolet 04-01 Chevrolet/GMC Truck Exmark Ford Generac Grasshopper Kawasaki Lawn & Garden Lugger Marine Massey-Ferguson New Holland Nissan Northern Lights Perkins 97-92 Pontiac Truck 94-90 Suzuki 05-99 Suzuki Truck 94-85 Suzuki Truck 87-80 Toyota & Westerbeke.

I used to use them on my cars, trucks, mowers, etc but after that happened I started doing some reading and disecting of filters (Fram vs. competitors) and I learned that you usually get what you pay for. The gentleman was correct in stating that you do get more with the higher dollar Fram's, but it is only a thicker can (not the filtering media) -:t

To each his own though.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
frams are the worst filters out they straight up suck when you cut them open the material that they use and the way it is made is worthless i have seen the cheapest filters cut open and the fram is still worse than the cheap one

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Arm
I had a friend that never, and I mean never changed his oil filter, on top of that, he would come over and get my used oil to top off his engine, and it ran for many years. So luck can go side by side with foolishness! PS he never blamed Fram either.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Ok guys, I have been using Fram oil filter in all my auto/trucks forever and have not had engine problem with any of them caused by Fram. Bought one of the first Pontiac 6000 that was a dog with engine/electrical problems and ended up donating it to local high school. Just sold my 95 C1500 with 148,500 miles on it. Engine runs great and uses half quart between changes. Wife's Toyoto has 72K on it and no problems. Had a C2500HD 6.0L and used the Fram and no problems whatsever. Now having said that, based on what the forums "Diesel" take is, I will probably use a WIX Oil Filter. Will stay with Fram for wife's auto.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I too have had no problem with Fram filters in over 40 years. If Fram is so bad how come we don't hear about court cases and such?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I too have had no problem with Fram filters in over 40 years. If Fram is so bad how come we don't hear about court cases and such?
Didn't you read the letter: "FRAM's marketers admitted that there was
just about no way the public could ever prove that an oil filter
contributed, or did not prevent, engine damage."

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Sorry, but I can't put much faith in an article on a Chrysler site and another article by a disgruntled employee. Been using Fram for 40 years in trucks, cars, minvan, boats, diesels, gassers...never a problem. Seems there are lots of us in the same situation, therefore, it's not luck, must be at least an 'okay' filter.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry, but I can't put much faith in an article on a Chrysler site and another article by a disgruntled employee. Been using Fram for 40 years in trucks, cars, minvan, boats, diesels, gassers...never a problem. Seems there are lots of us in the same situation, therefore, it's not luck, must be at least an 'okay' filter.
Well all I can say is that I got all the guys worked up at my job. Everyone was cutting open their old oil filters to check out the quality. Fortunatly every oil filter we opened up, was built better then the Frams(some of the Frams were leaking through torn media), even Walmarts "HiTech" filters were built better.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yeah, I guess if the legal beagles can't make a case out of it it must be almost bullet proof.

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
I like blue filters!

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Wonder who makes Wal Mart oil and filters.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts

Hey,

I have not used a Fram filter for atleast 10 years, and I have not had a problem!! :) And I don't plan on going back to them. Way too much of the same things from so many different souces about their lack of quality to keep me away from them.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
I guess I'm really in trouble... Quaker State & Fram, 211,000 miles on a '91 Cavalier and still going strong !?!? :eek: Should go 300,000 no problems. :blahblah:

·
Registered
138 Posts
I used a fram oil filter on my boat motor,the oil pressure would only read 20
psi. Had to shut her down ,took her home put on a wix racing filter bam right back up to 80psi.So yes I concur fram sucks.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 24 Posts