Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed my first OEM fuel Filter at 7,500 miles. It certainly was not used up but did have some crud in it. I switched over to the Fram fuel filters . They are noticeably lighter. The Top crimp of the canister was not rolled tight enough so the top seal would not set right. It was a real PITA. The metal is so thin I dented the filter just putting it on. Once it was on the lower seal was leaking
Overall Very poor quality. They might be made by the same company, on the same line, in the same factory, But the first one I used was no where near the same as OEM quality. Maybee I got a bad one.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Fram was once one of the best filters you could buy, and consumer reports tests showed it as the best on capacity and efficiency {oil filter}.

They have since been bought out {Allied Signal, I think] and IMO, they have cheapened the products condiderably and I personally wouldn't use them on a wheelbarrow!!!

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Every Fuel filter out there for the dmax is manufactured by Racor anyways. Fram fuel filter will be just fine. Just don't put a fram oil filter on your truck!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have heard they are all manufactured by Racor. After this one I just question weather or not they are all made by Racor to the same specs. If the canister thickness is the same etc. This is my second dmax and I never had any troubles like this with the OEM filters. I bought 6 of the Frams so I will swap this one out in a few thousand miles. I am hopeing this one was just defective.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts