9,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which one is better?

·
Registered
612 Posts
problemchild said:
Which one is better?

don't know if there is more than a flip of a coin difference .... both are reported to do an excellent job ... I happen to use FPPF but have nothing negative to say about the other one

Jim

·
Registered
347 Posts
I've started using Primrose (because I can get it locally) and it seems to be doing a good job. Sure seems better than that Power Service stuff I was using before. I just dump an ounce and a half per fill-up and away I go. With Power Service I needed a cup per tank.

From what I hear, both Primrose and FPPF are good products. I suggest choosing the one with the best availability in your area.

Later...

·
Registered
169 Posts
problemchild said:
Which one is better?

I've used both in warm weather..........can't comment on Primrose 409. I didn't see any performance difference.......the decision on which to use may come down to how you intend to meter it into the tank.

Primrose 405 = 1 oz. to 16 gal fuel, not sure about 409..........FPPF Total Power = 2 oz. to 16 gal fuel. I don't know if you get equal amounts of treatment at these dosages??

I usually run a 50/50 mix of Total Power & FPPF 8+ Cetane Improver with winter fuel, approx 3 gal fuel to 1 oz additive.......makes her run pretty smooth.

Cold idle at temps below 20 degrees or so is pretty rough, especially if I forget to plug er in! Seems to be getting worse as the truck ages...then again maybe I'm just getting paranoid with the talk of injector problems on 2001's........
Edited by: Stoner

·
Registered
430 Posts
I’m probably in the minority, but I quit using FPPF Total Power after my DMAX developed a rough idle, and was nosier as I accelerated onto the freeway. The idle was not real rough, but just enough to bother me when sitting at stoplights. The noise when accelerating hard was like a mild ping. Again, probably not a big issue, but enough to bother me. I was careful to mix according to instructions on the back of the bottle (1.5 ratio). Since I quit using it, my engine is smooth and quiet again. Possibly the FPPF does not mix well with the diesel additives used by the station where I fill? I believe that local diesel suppliers have additives that they add to their fuel. Either way, I know that many are happy with the FPPF Total Power. I’ll probably try the Primrose and see if I get the same issues. Anyone know where I can get Primrose in the <st1:City><st1:place>Minneapolis</st1:place></st1:City> area?Edited by: Roegs

·
Registered
841 Posts
avlube.com has Primrose. You can buy it in a six pack. Go to the website and click on "automotive". I have been using the 405 in the warm months. Just switched to 409 for the winter. 409 ratio is 1.2 oz per 10 gallons, 405 is half that at .6 oz per 10 gal. I bought a sta-bil dispenser(the kind with 2 caps where you squeeze the amount you want into the built in measuring cup and pour). I dumped out the sta-bil, rinsed with clean diesel and then filled it with the primrose. It is a quick and easy way to dispense the correct amount of additive every time. I have been using it for a year now and have never had a problem, engine always runs very smooth. It has a cetane boost, lubricity enhancer, corrosion inhibitor, water emulsifier, etc....and 409 is the same plus flow enhancer(prevents gelling). Why look for a distributor when it can be delivered to your door? SPICER

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have placed 2 orders with avlube.com and they have been great to work with. VERY quick shipping.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I use fppf but to be honest, I don't notice any performance or mileage increases.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Roegs said:
I’m probably in the minority, but I quit using FPPF Total Power after my DMAX developed a rough idle, and was nosier as I accelerated onto the freeway. The idle was not real rough, but just enough to bother me when sitting at stoplights. The noise when accelerating hard was like a mild ping. ...
Roegs,

That's weird about the noise. I'm using FPPF Fuel Power NOT Total Power, BUT my truck is definitely quieter with Fuel Power. However, I have noticed the noise that you're talking about on accelaration. I ONLY notice the noise though when the pilot injection is off, between 2800 - 3000 RPMs. The rest of the time, it's quieter.

I have also noticed that my fuel economy is a little better, but NOT the 2 mpg that some are seeing...

cadman_ks

PS: Even though my engine is louder during accelaration, it's STILL quieter than my Cummin(g)s ever was.

Edited by: CADman_ks

·
Registered
430 Posts
CADman...At first I thought the noise was from my pilot injection, but after checking, I was only around 2400-2500 rpm when the noise was present. The rough idle was what really bothered me. Every stop light gave me a vibration on the brake pedal. It was also enough to rattle anything that was in the sunglasses holder on the dash. Both issues went away as soon as I quit the Total Power. I might try it again with the summer blend of fuel, but for now, its running great without the Total Power.

Gotta agree with you on the Cummins...they are noisey. The new ones are sure quiet though...maybe even too quiet. I stood next to one at a stop light the other day, and knew it was a diesel only by the Cummins sticker. It was quieter than my old 454 gas motor.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Roegs said:
CADman...At first I thought the noise was from my pilot injection, but after checking, I was only around 2400-2500 rpm when the noise was present. The rough idle was what really bothered me. Every stop light gave me a vibration on the brake pedal. It was also enough to rattle anything that was in the sunglasses holder on the dash. ...

Gotta agree with you on the Cummins...they are noisey. The new ones are sure quiet though...maybe even too quiet. ...

Roegs,

You're right at that RPM's that would NOT be pilot injection. That's also one heck of a rattle to cause the sunglass case to rattle. That's really one thing that I've liked about my DMax. My Cummins did rattle a little bit, but I was used to that.

I like the quiet diesels, BUT I also LOVE the sound of the diesel, so for me the quiet is more "cool" than it is "pratical". We had the truck at my wife's uncle's place the other day and he asked me if we had a new truck. He thought that we had traded off our diesel and got a gasser because it was so quiet. That's pretty cool when someone can't tell it's a diesel...

CADman_ks

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My truck had the pedal vibration too. It bugged me a lot. I started using primrose and its smoother now. It seems quieter too. But my gas mileage is sucking the hind teet. I got 13mpg this last tank. Everytime I put some additive in my mpg goes way down.Edited by: problemchild

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you use the Primrose product, make sure you check the quantity you receive....I purchased a 6 pack of 12 oz bottles but each bottle only had @ 9 oz (a loss of 9 tank treatments at @ 2 oz per tank). I contacted the vendor and they sent me another 2 bottles, but if you don't check and complain......

·
Registered
242 Posts
I second rdixon's comment on amount in bottle. I'm still very happy with the product and service, but it did stop and make me wonder about quality control when the bottles were low. Put in by machine but randomly checked by who, the customer?

·
Registered
939 Posts
Roegs,

What your were experiencing is the same thing I am going through right now. For the past couple of months, the engine is idling rougher and I have a vibration through the brake pedal...very annoying. Just yesterday, sitting at a light, my sunglasses were vibrating on my head!! This just started a couple of months ago, only thing that has changed is the addition of the Nicktane kit and a bottle of FPPF Total Power. I was thinking maybe I was getting air in the system from the install or the large filter was causing problems...never thought it could have been the additive. I've got a round trip to Vegas next week, maybe I will skip the additive for the trip and see what happens. Got nothing to lose but bad vibs!!

BobEdited by: 4x4man

·
Registered
430 Posts
4x4man...let us know what happens when you quit using Total Power. Mine was like a light switch...the first full tank that I had without Total Power cleared up all the symptoms.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Is there realy a big need for the additive in a mild climate?

·
Registered
514 Posts
wakeboarder said:
Is there realy a big need for the additive in a mild climate?

Yep, to deal with any water and help with lubrication of the fuel system.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Do I need it in every tank?

·
Registered
514 Posts
It certainly doesn't hurt.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts