Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I changed oil, lubed and did the Allison spin on. Driving into work this morning I realized I forgot the magnet.
Will replace as soon as I get home. Someone put my mind at ease and tell me it's OK. Total drive time without magnet - 100 miles. Thanks.

John

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Don't worry about it. Most transmissions don't have the external filter or magnet.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Without the magnet, the compass in the mirror is off 20 degrees north

·
Banned
2,530 Posts
It gets the most junk during the first few thousand miles anyway, should be fine.

Jonny O, Mine throws my compass off 30 degrees, I musta got a bigger/better magnet that you

Ox

·
Registered
817 Posts
JohnnyO said:
Without the magnet, the compass in the mirror is off 20 degrees north

100 miles, with no magnet! That's it, get a new tranny, it's
. NOT!

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Theres a magnet in the pan also ... Regardless I wouldn't sweat it ,but would replace it asap ...

Mac

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
There really is a calibration factor for vehicles with the electronic compass in the mirror also depending what part of the country you live in. Later! Frank

·
Registered
365 Posts
John,

It's "OK". Now go back and sleep soundly.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hoot (in a long ago post) suggested that leaving that magnet off might adversly affect the brightness of the headlights when they are on high beam but it wasn't on one of his better days

Truly, as has been said, no big deal but get it back on for added insurance.

Bob

·
Registered
14,321 Posts
The magnet is there to catch metal particals before the solenoids grab them first. You didnt hurt anything and you dont need to make a mad rush putting it back in, but get it back in for insurance.

mike

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I don't know about you, but I think you should go ahead and replace all the clutch plates. You are better to be safe, than sorry. And as long as your at it, install the TransGo, and might as well throw in the Multi-plate Billet Cover. Ya, thats what I should do. Throw away the magnet, and you know the rest of the story. Think my wife would buy that? Help me out guy's. We need to convince her.

Edited by: modified

·
Registered
473 Posts
I am sure glad I found this Forum before I changed my external Transmission filter. My neighbor had his changed by a 10 minute Lube place and they didn't know about the Magnet. He had to go buy a new one. I just changed my Filter this afternoon I used a Baldwin Filter. Looks just like the filter I took off except for the color. This was the first change and didn't have much metal on it.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
BlueOx03 said:
It gets the most junk during the first few thousand miles anyway, should be fine.

Jonny O, Mine throws my compass off 30 degrees, I musta got a bigger/better magnet that you

Ox

Would it be bigger and better because it's round and has a hole in the center like a washer and GMC's have thicker washers, or is everything about GMC's just better??

·
Registered
444 Posts
BlueOx03 said:

Ox

You must have the "Juiced" magnet from JK.

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
DMAX2DAMAX wrote:"

"Would it be bigger and better because it's round and has a hole in the center like a washer and GMC's have thicker washers, or is everything about GMC's just better??
"

Yes Sir,

We got us some Professional Grade Magnets
. They are the ones that pass the quality controls.

You chebby guys get all the substandard washers, sometimes they gotta use two .........

BAWAWAWAWAWAWAWAWA......

T
NYEdited by: GMC-2002-Dmax

1 - 17 of 17 Posts