Diesel Place banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know anything about the small diesel ford is supposed to come out with for the F-150? I was just wondering how it compared to the 4.5 Dmax. About 3 years ago in popular mechanics they had a story on it and it was supposed to be a IH built V6 with 2 turbos.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Last I read it was a 4.4L v8 with much less HP and Tq than the 4.5L dmax. However the following link (http://www.fordf150.net/diesel/ ) is claiming much different:

This just in!! AutoWeek is reporting that Ford will allegedly be putting a supercharged 4.4L diesel V8 engine in the F-150 for 2009. Expect it to have around 330 horsepower and 520 lb-ft of torque! GM & Dodge are also planning on putting diesel engines in 1/2 ton, but Ford is expected to be the first to actually produce such a truck. The 4.4-liter engine is a larger version of the 3.6-liter turbocharged V-8 used in European market Land Rover.
I recall Dodge's 1/2 ton was suppose to be a v6.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I don't think the 3.6 is made by IH. The factory is in England and I think they are actually made by Ford.

Nick

·
Registered
590 Posts
I was thinking that fords small Diesel Is gonna be a Land Rover Built Diesel 4.4 Lion its called

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
My understanding is that several years ago IH was supposed to build a twin turbo V6 for the F150. But since things have gotten so bad between ford and IH, Ford's gone to the landrover engine as stated above.

·
Registered
55 Posts
What is Dodge suppose to be coming out with then? Last i heard it was going to be a V8 in the 1/2 ton and they were keeping the I6 in the 3/4 and 1 tons. Personally i would like to stick with a dmax, and i trust chevy (specially with interior) more then ford or dodge. But it will be interesting to see what happens with the new regulations on emissions, MPG and so on and so forth.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Dodge isn't even close I would guess after daimler sold off chrysler. I was thinking that v-8 was a benz engine or something.

·
Registered
590 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
In the new diesel power mag, it says That ford and Caterpillar had a 3.0L V-6 rated at 170hp/296tq, but ford reduced its role in the cat light truck clean diesel program, so that motor is out of the light truck picture, for now. Diesel power says that it could possibly be used by Toyota and Nissan, but i doubt it.

Now, ford is putting in a 4.4L V-8 called the Lion rated at 350HP/500tq. This motor is made by ford, and PSA Peugeot Citroen. The motor is based off of the 2.7L, and 3.6L v6 Lion.

As for dodge they are going to use a Cummins 4.2L V6, and 5.6L V8. The 4.2L is rated at 270hp/420tq, and the 5.6L is rated at 300hp/460tq.

Other small motors that have potential in the light truck market are a Detroit Diesel 4.0L, and 3.0L V6, and a Mercedes-Benz 3L V6, and a VM Motori (GM owned) 3.0/2.9L V6 rated at 250hp/406tq.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I

As for dodge they are going to use a Cummins 4.2L V6, and 5.6L V8. The 4.2L is rated at 270hp/420tq, and the 5.6L is rated at 300hp/460tq.
I like this idea. Offering 2 diesels. One for economy and the other for power. Just like they do now with the gassers. You can get the V6 or V8. :thumb: dodge.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts