Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stark's Component Ledger - an automotive industry insider newsletter with subscription price of $700 per year - reported in their Nov 17 edition that Ford is madder than an ole wet hen at International because of the very bad launch of the 6.0L engine. So mad, in fact, that they plan to not renew the contract with International when it expires several years from now.

Instead, they plan to go to Cummins as the diesel engine component provider for future Ford products.

Not the current Cummins products, but future Cummins engines that will be a 4.5L V6 and a 6.0L V8.

·
Registered
88 Posts
great, so--- does that mean that chevy will be getting the infamous navistar????? patience my pretty, patience!!! hahha just kiddin chio. hddm3

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
903 in a big truck was a V8 only one I know of. Havent herd of them in a few years, think they stopped production.

Geno

·
Registered
463 Posts
I drove (for a short time, many years ago, in 1979) a Dodge cab-over that had a 903 cummins. It was an old truck then, but as I recall, it had a lot of power and it sure made quite a racket.

Kevin

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
yep, some racket but not that bad. We had one in the Low-Boy. That thing pulled like freight train! Poor Ol'e truck, Trans Star, got a bad short while dead-heading down the innerstate.....burned to the ground. If I remeber correctly, the motor was rebuilt @ 1,000,000 miles and the short happened around 1,230,000 miles.

...... IMO, they like fuel.

Burner------------>

·
Registered
408 Posts
They put V8 cummins in Massey tractors, my inlaws have one that they keep around. It must do something right because they have a couple of newer New Hollands with M11 cummins and they still use it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
From the Cummins website FAQ..."Does Ford own Cummins?"...Answer,"No, Ford does not own any part of Cummins Inc."I can't get the hyper-link to work or I would take you right to the website.This is an old rumor started by Ford salesmen..."Ford owns Cummins but it is inferior to the power-stroke that's why they don't use it"
...DougEdited by: dougf

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ford has been using Cummins engines for years....you can get one now if you go with a bigger truck. Check out the Ford commercial truck website.........

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Cummins makes a great engine, all of them. I hope that the company thrives. I was concerned about the the new compliance hurting them but it's gonna hurt all of them. The new teir II compliance raised the price of heavy equipment about 5 grand.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Ford bought into cummins some years ago to get the turbo technology. They wanted a long lasting turbo. They got it, and then sold the cummins shares. Thats where the rumor came from. This was back in like 92-93ish. Correct RedIntrepid9. The 7.3 was a good motor (it had more potential). To bad it's gone way side. The cummins is truly a mile marker motor. Ford will only benefit by using them. Super Diesel

·
Registered
186 Posts
<DIV align=center>
<TABLE class=MsoNormalTable style="WIDTH: 100%; mso-cellspacing: 0in; mso-padding-alt: 3.0pt 3.0pt 3.0pt 3.0pt" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%">
<T>
<TR style="HEIGHT: 86.25pt; mso-yfti-irow: 0">
<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-RIGHT: 3pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; PADDING-LEFT: 3pt; BACKGROUND: #f7f7f7; PADDING-BOTTOM: 3pt; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; WIDTH: 100%; PADDING-TOP: 3pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 86.25pt" vAlign=top width="100%">
Ford revives V6 diesel plan for light-duty pickups, SUVs

By RICHARD TRUETT AND AMY WILSON
Automotive News

<st1:City><st1:place>DETROIT</st1:place></st1:City> - Ford Motor Co.'s on-again, off-again plan to install a V6 diesel engine in its light-duty pickups and SUVs is on again.

At a recent meeting in Las Vegas, Ford officials told dealers to expect a V6 diesel engine in the F-150 pickup and Expedition SUV sometime after 2007. That's when low-sulfur diesel fuel becomes available nationwide, thereby helping diesels meet stricter emissions standards.

A Ford source says the introduction of a V6 diesel engine in the lineup in 2008 or later is "directionally" correct.

Ford COO Jim Padilla would not confirm the company's V6 diesel plans in an interview last week. But he did say that diesels make the most sense for big SUVs and full-sized pickups.

"Where can you do it, and where can the customer perceive some potential payback?" Padilla said. "I think that is with the bigger vehicles."

Ford was working on plans two years ago to install a diesel V6 in the F-150 but abruptly canceled the project because the engine might not have met emissions standards. The engine was to have been supplied by International Truck and Engine Corp., which makes the Power Stroke diesel V8 for Ford's heavy-duty pickups.

One source with knowledge of Ford's diesel plans says the V6 also is slated for the Lincoln Navigator SUV. The engine will be built by Cummins Inc., the source says.

But the Ford source says the supplier of the new engine "is not a done deal."

Cummins supplies the inline six-cylinder diesel engine that powers the Dodge Ram pickup. But Cummins' contract with DaimlerChrysler does not preclude the company from selling a different diesel engine to another automaker.

"Cummins has been out there aggressively trying to market their V-engine architecture," says Ed McLaughlin, an analyst who tracks diesel engines for the Automotive Technology Research Group, a consulting firm in <st1:place><st1:City>Thousand Oaks</st1:City>, <st1:State>Calif.</st1:State></st1:place>

Cummins spokesman Mark Land said his company is working on a V6 diesel engine for light-duty trucks. He declined to identify any automakers that might buy it.

Another Ford source says the company delayed the introduction of a smaller diesel in part because it did not want to cannibalize sales of the heavy-duty F series. Ford's profits on those diesel-powered trucks are thought to be as much as $10,000 per vehicle.

But Nissan and <st1:City><st1:place>Toyota</st1:place></st1:City> are expected to offer diesels in the Titan and Tundra light-duty pickups by the end of

·
Registered
909 Posts
There are already two threads on Ford's V6 diesel news. Unfortunately, few seem interested in anything other than GM news at this site.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I wish they woud throw away the V-6 idea. A inline 6 will out pull a V any day of the week. I also wish somebody would start putting cat motors in pickups. There was a rumor a few years ago that ford was going to start putting cat motors in their trucks. I can't find any creditable information on it. Sure wish they would. I had a peterbuilt with a 475 cat and I had it running good. I could out run any 550 cat on the road. I really would love to have a cat motor in a pickup. That would be fun. You could pull anything. It may give cummings a run for their money if they would do it.

·
Registered
962 Posts
alky said:
I wish they woud throw away the V-6 idea. A inline 6 will out pull a V any day of the week. .

Except for days that end in "Y", you can design pretty much any powerband into any motor configuration. Show me a inline 6 truck that can outpull a friggin train. (in case you didn't know they are pretty much exclusively "V" engines. The whole inline vs. v-debate is based on ignorance, and is also getting a bit old.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Wickedsprint, Did you see where CAT had built an I-16 for the trains about 5 years ago? They had said something about "too much power" for the exsisting tack & wheels set-up. They said the train wanted to spin the wheels excessively. In short they said that two engines were still better than one because of the surface area/track life.

Burner--------->

·
Registered
292 Posts
Burner said:
Wickedsprint, Did you see where CAT had built an I-16 for the trains about 5 years ago? They had said something about "too much power" for the exsisting tack & wheels set-up. They said the train wanted to spin the wheels excessively. In short they said that two engines were still better than one because of the surface area/track life.

Burner--------->

I thought that the diesel motors in trains were tonly power the generators which then providedthe electricity to the electric motors which drive the wheels? Was this I-16 directly tied to the wheels?

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Hasselback,

You are correct, trains are driven by electric motors not combustion engines. However, they were using cat motors as a direct drive application. If it still there, I'll try to find the the artical and scratch it up on here. I've got maybe a 20% chance of finding that thing........ I'll check back in a week or so.

Burner------------->

1 - 20 of 28 Posts