Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some questions that hopefully, will be helpful to others. Please forgive me if I retrace covered ground.

1. How many miles did you have when they gave?

2. What were the symptoms? Did you notice things gradually deteriorating, or did they just give?

3. If you noticed things gradually, what should we look for? What kind of noises? Fuel mileage? Smoke? Erratic?

4. If they just gave, please describe. What kind of noises came out of the engine, if any? Did the engine surge and lope? How much and what kind of smoke? Please describe the event. Was it drivable after it gave?

5. How are things once initially repaired. Does it repeat, or can they fix it right?

Please add any info you think we, and by we I mean us poor souls who have injector trouble, should know, or things we should do?

Thanks.

Rick

·
Registered
365 Posts
Rick,

Sometimes it just smokes at idle and clears out when you accelerate. Sometimes it drops rail pressure under towing-load and puts the truck into limp mode, shutting you down.

I hear of the noisy ones and ones with other symptoms but have no experience with them. Hope this was helpful.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Rick, my truck had two go out at 2000 miles. The engine was making a much louder "clattering" sound on acceleration. There was also increased smoke, although not horrible. Definitely a loss in performance. My wife noticed it 1st then had me drive it to see if I heard/felt the difference. Since replacements, there have been no probelms.

Bartman

·
Registered
53 Posts
Rick, my truck had one injector go out at about 75,000 miles. I started to notice a strong diesel odor in the truck. Searched for a leak for several days. Finally the truck started running rough. The engine never made any unusual noises. I stopped and noticed fuel dripping under my truck from the front to the back. The entire under carriage was coated in diesel. The bad injector filled the engine full of fuel and it started leaking (pouring) from the crankcase vent. GM replaced the one injector and changed the oil. At least the blue oval replaced the engines when an injector filled the crankcases with fuel. You live and learn.

·
Registered
398 Posts
jermck said:
At least the blue oval replaced the engines when an injector filled the crankcases with fuel. You live and learn.

OK here is how I see it, if you want A new engine, keep running it till it lets loose.

If mine fills with fuel, you better believe I run it till it quits.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Im with JOHN R. If i get diesel in my oil or expect a injector failure. She going to blow before it makes it to the shop.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought that in the manual it said something about checking oil guage and running with low oil pressure could cause damage not covered by warranty.Too cold out to check my book but does that sound familiar?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Can not check it driving down the road!

·
Registered
183 Posts
The guage or manual LOL

·
Registered
168 Posts
yes

·
Registered
398 Posts
The part that I read in the manual sess to keep oil full, not to check if it's overfill.

I check my oil at every fuel stop but if it's getting diesel in it that's GM's problem.

I'll do my part and they'll have to do theirs.

If the crankcase fills with fuel I'm sure the engine will cook by the time it needs refueling.

I haven't had any problems, hope I don't.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
At around 400 miles I started to notice the truck vibrating at idle. It gradually got worse, to point that it would rattle coins in the cup holders. At 884 miles I saw a diesel/oil puddle under the truck. Looked under the truck and most of the under carriage was covered. This was after a 200 mile drive. Also the oil pressure was very low but still above the red. No loss of power and my fuel mileage was about 1-2 miles a gal. better than I'm gettin' now

Took it to the dealer and they replaced 2 injectors and a return line.

·
Registered
5 Posts
WanaDmxsub said:
At around 400 miles I started to notice the truck vibrating at idle. It gradually got worse, to point that it would rattle coins in the cup holders. At 884 miles I saw a diesel/oil puddle under the truck. Looked under the truck and most of the under carriage was covered. This was after a 200 mile drive. Also the oil pressure was very low but still above the red. No loss of power and my fuel mileage was about 1-2 miles a gal. better than I'm gettin' now

Took it to the dealer and they replaced 2 injectors and a return line.
So far six injectors have been replaced on my 02, and it has just started surging again and lower idle. Looks like maybe more needs to be replaced. Someone from GM should read this forum because it is obvious there is a problem. Maybe not a huge one but it is a problem for some.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all,

I had all eight inj replaced at about 73K on my 01 DMAX. I had no smoking or recognizable noises. I am a first diesel owner at present. I purchased this truck just prior to the failure. Not sure now wether or not early failure was detected by the previous owner?? After info collection prior to inj R&R I was under the impression that there was a design flaw in the early inj and it had been corrected. I'm a bit bothered by continued concerns with 03 vehicles reporting inj problems. Any response/thoughts appreciated.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Three D/max forums to keep up with

I'm sure there will be plenty of duplicity

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
jermck said:
Rick, my truck had one injector go out at about 75,000 miles. I started to notice a strong diesel odor in the truck. Searched for a leak for several days. Finally the truck started running rough. The engine never made any unusual noises. I stopped and noticed fuel dripping under my truck from the front to the back. The entire under carriage was coated in diesel. The bad injector filled the engine full of fuel and it started leaking (pouring) from the crankcase vent. GM replaced the one injector and changed the oil. At least the blue oval replaced the engines when an injector filled the crankcases with fuel. You live and learn.
I don't think Ford replaces engines in that case but they have to replace the turbo. For some reason the turbo on the LB7 Dmax can handle diluted oil but the Garret VGT on the Ford cannot.

Now the new Dmax LLY has a Garret VGT so if the oil gets diluted the turbo bearings may go south.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts