Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a dellema, and know how buisy you must be, but I need your appionion. I read so much of dirty diesel fuel, etc I have an Idea. I life on a farm and bought my first diesel truck(duramax). So what if I have a diesel tank brought here to the farm and try to filter the fuel (MFA 2 percient biodiesel) before it hits my truck tank. Can this be done without investing too much. And another problem would be it would take 8 weeks to use up 250 gallons, will this fuel deterate or go bad in that amount of time? Just a thought. The holding tank is free but im sure the filter they provide would be insuficiant. Forgive my spelling.

Thanks David

·
Registered
490 Posts
I know the gas and diesel tanks at work have a 10 micron filter on the pump. Not sure if you can buy a replacement 2 micron filter to fit that base. Ask the supplier. You could also buy a Cat or Permacool base, even Kennedy's base and plumb it into the pump, but I would imagine, it might take a while to fill your tank, as those filters have a lower flow rate.

A filter that slips onto the filler nozzle would be cool, but would disable the cutoff, unless it was engineered into the unit. Hmmm, got me thinking now..........

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
DmaxDave,

Yes you can filter you own storage tank to very high standards. You would also want to run some additive in it too, as clean fuel can still grow bacteria. I'm sure george could recommend a filter to do the job.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My mind has been running sevral ways, almost all the time I could fill up at home, I almost never travel anywhere. I think the 2% biodiesel would be ok. I could use another company but MFA has delivered to my farm for 30 years unleded gas. One concern I realy have is water over time but with proper filter setup and storage tank set at angle to the back with bleader I think this would be acomplished. I know there is a lot of fellows been thinking the same thing thats why I posted this instead of email George himself. Becides adding a second filter to truck with this I would know whats going in to the truck. As for price it would be the same as at the pumps sometimes a little chieper.All my neiybers are running their fule in tracktors but just with the offroad die with no problem I know of. Most of this equiepment is new and runs high pressure injection systems, but they also have 2 filters systems, ( I wonder why).I would not do this for Its not leagal and what if there was a warranty issue and they see the die? I would think I could add the fuel additive George sells when fuel is dlivered. Well so many thoughts. Thanks everyone for the input thats why I joined in a week on two sites I learned so much .Thanks Again David

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Just watch the bio-diesel. I've heard in usually contains more water than regular diesel.. Also from what i understand conventional diesel additives don't work with bio...

·
Registered
394 Posts
From previous posts you may have noted that I pump 12/10/8 ISO or better diesel fuel into my Duramax. I have the luxury of just what you have discussed, a 1,000 gallon tank with a 2 micron desiccant breather on top of the tank to keep dirt and moisture out of the tank and then a 2 micron beta 2000 fully synthetic filter at the output to ensure ultra clean, dry diesel fuel. If the tank is protected from contaminants and water and additized with either Primrose 405 during summer and Primrose 409 in winter (or other high quality fuel additive), the fuel will remain at peak performance levels for extended periods. (many months)
One of the problems is that at this time there are no high quality 2 micron beta 200 (or 2000) fuel filters available capable of filtering flow rates needed for fuel dispensing applications. I have been working with a filter manufacturer whose primary market is the aerospace industry to develop a fully synthetic dispenser type filter capable of handling up to 100 gpm flow rates. This project has taken nearly a year and is very close to commercialization. Also as we have discussed previously, when one is filtering down to the 1 micron level, a fully synthetic medium is mandated due to wintertime flow restrction with paper elements along with limited dirt holding capacity/filter life.
So, a very timely question with a filter solution soon available! Desiccant/filter breathers are available now and we carry one for diesel fuel tanks on our website.
George Morrison

·
Registered
394 Posts
Regarding investment.. Very little investment required to set up the actual diesel fuel filter with restriction gauge, etc. The one problem is that with filtration one needs some sort of pump, either electric or gas pump. The investment in the pump will most likely be more than the filter, housing and desiccant breather combined! However, your fuel supplier may be able to provide both a tank and pump at minimal or no cost as they sometimes have 'programs' enabling setups.
George

·
Registered
276 Posts
This might be a really silly question, or a stupid thought...

What about a filter that you could stick right on the end of the ANY pump at ANY fuel delivery place that would filter to 2mic or lower?

That way you could filter your fuel no matter where you were at.

Would it not work becuase the delivery rate/pressure on the fuel would be too great and would blow by the filtering media, or would the pump simply shut off because it would see the pressure created by the filter and think that the tank was full?

Flog me for thinking out loud...

cadman_ks

·
Registered
394 Posts
Regarding the question "What about a filter that you could stick right on the end of the ANY pump at ANY fuel delivery place that would filter to
2 mic or lower?" That is an excellent question and this would be a wonderful solution to our problem; unfortunately, any backpressure seen by the pump dispenser shuts it off immediately.. An inline filter will create backpressure to the pump handle; immediate shut off..
George Morrison

·
Registered
276 Posts
George,

That's what I figured the ultimate problem would be.

That would sure be the cat's meow though. You could take it with you anywhere you went...

Thanks for the clarification...

cadman_ks

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks George and everyone for input, I still dont know if I want to run BIOdiesel but thats down on the list. Looks like Ill be callin AV Lube for some filter applications. Thanks everyone David

1 - 11 of 11 Posts