Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still working on my burban and here is what my ic looks like on my truck.

It is a tight fit:eek::D

·
Registered
23 Posts
is it going to bee expose ??

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No it will have the grill on once I am done. It just takes time when you do things right and are pretty anal About it:eek::D.

·
Registered
481 Posts
What is the IC off of?

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
That looks like it will be a nice set-up. did you have to modify the core support and remove the A/C Condensor? When I tried to sneak an IC behind the grill, it seemed like the curvature of the grill was the limiting factor that minimized the available room. I was almost thinging of trying to gradually bend a thinned 2" thick IC slighly to follow the curve.

·
Registered
25 Posts
its from a cummins. Looks oem!

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That looks like it will be a nice set-up. did you have to modify the core support and remove the A/C Condensor? When I tried to sneak an IC behind the grill, it seemed like the curvature of the grill was the limiting factor that minimized the available room. I was almost thinging of trying to gradually bend a thinned 2" thick IC slighly to follow the curve.
Yes I did modify the core. I will have the a/c condensor in front. Yes I will have to shave the grill a little to make it fit but it can be done. I am painting the core support right now. I am going with a 02 rad & ic of a cummins. I can't wait till this is done.

If things work out right I will have the core,rad and ic installed this weekend.

·
Registered
5,148 Posts
Looks great. Take more pics

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have more pics. What do you want a pic of?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Everything. :D

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Everything. :D
x2 :)

I like where you're going with this.

Is the 02 radiator plumbed for tranny fluid? Are the coolant inlet and outlet close to where they are on the 6.5 radiator?

·
Registered
865 Posts
Cool, how much did it set you back?

I dont plan on towing ever, maybe once or twice in my life time but will an IC help prolong the engines life?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Please document this as a step-by-step. It could be one of the better mods for 6.5 out there.

I've looked at IC's but live on a dirt road that gets VERY sloppy and a hanging IC just isn't a good idea. I also drive around through fields and such and feel the IC needs to be better protected like what you're doing.

I'd much rather do that - even if I had to use a billet grille and extend it forward some - than hang it down where I know it'll get compromised.

Chaser

·
Registered
248 Posts
If you can get some good pics of your plumbing that would be helpful!! What are you doing for the intake?

Ive started this same project, removed my ac condenser to get measurements. Probably going with a custom made IC. Without the condenser there is a LOT of room for it. Id like to go with the Marine intake tho, hard not to for only 65 bones....

·
Registered
593 Posts
If you can get some good pics of your plumbing that would be helpful!! What are you doing for the intake?

Ive started this same project, removed my ac condenser to get measurements. Probably going with a custom made IC. Without the condenser there is a LOT of room for it. Id like to go with the Marine intake tho, hard not to for only 65 bones....
Without the condensor:eek:????!!!! No can do...that would transform my Suburban into a kiln...

I agree totally on the Peninsular intake. That's less money that a tank of fuel. Actually there are a lot of things that cost less than a 42gal tank of fuel :mad:.

Chaser

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am going to have the a/c,ic,then the rad. I am going to get a universal transmission cooler with a fan that mounts on the frame. ( I think that is what I am going to do anyhow.

Like I said to alot of people. Look at every diesel out there where is the ic at? right in front.

About the intake. If I was going to do this for my 6.5 then this is the way I would go. Basically the tubes will be right inside the wheel wells and will make a nice setup. that ismpo.:D

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cool, how much did it set you back?

I dont plan on towing ever, maybe once or twice in my life time but will an IC help prolong the engines life?
I bought the rad and ic from the salvage yard. It should cost 400 or less. Also once you sell your gm rad you can recoop some $$$$$

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
x2 :)

I like where you're going with this.

Is the 02 radiator plumbed for tranny fluid? Are the coolant inlet and outlet close to where they are on the 6.5 radiator?
The rad it about the same as the gm. The lower hose gets moved up so you can run the rad and the ic. With the gm rad the inlet on ic and lower rad hose is side by side and you can not put on the hoses.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts