Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again.. I hope this will be my last post for a while. Doing the last minute items on the truck for a long trip and thought I would be able to get the fog lights working..

Here is what I have done: Checked bulbs, they are good. Checked 15amp Fuse, that is good. Replaced the actual switch which also has the cargo light switch on it. (bought a while back thinking that was the probem) so decieded to put it in to see. Nothing. Replaced the Relay cause I though it might have been the problem and the other one I have I think is new.. Nothing again..

I took apart one of the old relays I had to try to figure out how to "test" that.. Decided to engage the relay and then put it back into fuse block.. Nothing on, no key in, and volia.... Fog lights.

So I then ran to the store to get a new relay thinking the two I had before must be bad... I plug that bad larry into the fuse box, thinking I got you now.. and low and behold... NOTHING :mad: ..... Still no fog lights...

Any suggestions???

Thanks again all, Kevin

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Sounds like you might have a loose connection in the fuse box, either at the relay or the connector under the fuse box.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like you might have a loose connection in the fuse box, either at the relay or the connector under the fuse box.
Great.. That sounds like a fun thing to fix.. Maybe when I'm done more won't work...

Any idea if I can trouble shoot before tearing into that mess?? Out of the 5 pins on this relay, what should be hot on the female end of the fuse box and what should not be and in what switch position???????

Thanks for the news, it has to be the only thing that could be wrong now that you mention it...

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
First remember that those lights won't work when the brights are on. That tells me there has to be something else controlling the lights. Maybe a back feed through the headlight relay. Maybe in the dimmer switch itself. I don't know what it is for sure, but keep that in mind.

Also since you already tore up one of the relays look and see what two locations in the fuse box supplies the magnet in the relay. That will allow you to check the power and ground feeds separately. When you find that you are not getting power or ground through them you may be able to bypass it, or at least it will help you track it further. I would guess that the power comes from the fog light switch and the ground is a backfeed through the headlight side. Good Luck and I hope I've helped!

·
Registered
613 Posts
foglight

First remember that those lights won't work when the brights are on. That tells me there has to be something else controlling the lights. Maybe a back feed through the headlight relay. Maybe in the dimmer switch itself. I !
should have a sunlight sensor on the driver side betwine the grill and the radiator. switch your foglight on and put your thum in front so the sensor "think" it's black and if it work they go on .

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
The fog lights will come on when the switch is pushed, the headlights do not have to be on. They will go out if the brights are switched on. You can test the relay socket with a test light. Two of the terminals should be + and the other two - when the lights should be on. Does the indicator light next to the button illuminate?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The fog lights will come on when the switch is pushed, the headlights do not have to be on. They will go out if the brights are switched on. You can test the relay socket with a test light. Two of the terminals should be + and the other two - when the lights should be on. Does the indicator light next to the button illuminate?
Brandon,

Thanks for the info.. I do not have a test light but do have a mutli meter.. I did test the fuse block where the relay was and found two female terminal that had power to them, but I am pretty sure it was when the fogs were "off" (i think)..

And no, the button does NOT illuminate...

When I have been looking into this, the highbeams have been off and I have blocked out the light sensors so the truck thinks its dark....

Thinking, screw it and just never bother with them.. but it pisses me off that they are not working especialy since when I faked out the relay they worked... (I know enought to be dangerous, but really do not know a of what makes this relay tick except that some sort of load, triggers the magnito (or something like that) to make contact the other way)

Like specialagent says, he never used them anyways, so why bother.

kevin

Kevin

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
The two terminals that should be grounded are where you problem most likely will be. One is going to have some sort of resistance when you check continuity to ground, that would be the bulbs, the other side is the control side and does the switching. I don't know exactly how the circuit is wired, but I would guess that what ever control unit turns them off w/ the brights is not cooperating. You could pobably by-pass it with a different switch.

·
Registered
269 Posts
just pointing out the oubvious here the fog lights wont come on witout the key ON. even if you put the headlight switch on and the high lows work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts