Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone who has the zf 6speed ever had to replace the dual mass flywheel. My truck had 500 miles on it when I started hearing a rattling noise in the bell housing area, next a squeek in the bell housing. GM said that they do not know what is causing this at the time. Now their is 10,000 miles on it and I found out from the dealer that the noise is the flywheel, so they replaced the flywheel last week also the pressure plate as a result of the flywheel comming apart was sqeeking so that was replaced. Every thing ran very good no noise or any thing Two days later the same exact noise is coming from the bell housing area. This flywheel is comming appart also with not even 100 miles put on it. The dealer called GM and GM said they are redesigning a new flywheel because of the problems they are having and I will be notified when it is ready.

·
Registered
37 Posts
dieselmax82 I feel your pain, I have heard a lot of guys on hear talk about having to replace flywheels at very low miles. Knock on would mine hasn't started making any noises yet.

·
Registered
415 Posts
6400 miles here. You are not alone. Friend has 04 LLY with a new flywheel at 900 miles. The new # seems pretty good. It seems to hold better than the old one. I pull a 30' goose and it starts to chatter on a really hard pull with the Quad on 70 hp but it does a good job. Heard rumors that GM is still working on yet another flywheel setup. I guess time will tell.

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
I was noticing some rattling coming from that area today...

Great. Im about to go on a 2000 mile trip in a week with it.

What exactly happens to it? Is it driveable more or less if it goes out? Im going to be out in the middle of nowhere, and dont wanna get screwed...

Ive got the damn squeaky clutch pedal too...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine was drivable the whole time. The rattle just gets worse and more noticable the longer it is in. It gets to the point where once in a while as it is idleing it will squeek because of the amount of vibration going to the pressure plate. You will notice a vibrating sound in 5th and 6th when accellerating. It just bothers me to pull in to a parking lot and here the rattly bearing sound from the flywheel and no other D/M has it because all other ones usualy are allisons.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I hope the NEW new one is released before our warranty is up!

·
Registered
415 Posts
My first flywheel developed a squeak when the clutch pedel was depressed. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the T/O bearing. Keep in ming this was the first one they had seen. Squeak went away for about 2 weeks then started again. When I went back in I told them what I had learned doing my own research, they agreed that it was the flywheel and they replaced it. I am guessing the reason the vibration gets worse is because the springs wear out and let the flexplate slap around. The worse part is there are NO aftermarket flywheels for these trucks. I bet we won't see one because there are so few of them on the road.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Not to be stuipid, you guys that had them replace what do they sound like? I had a really heavy load this weekend and now i have a little rattle with pedal both in and out. And that same damn sqeak that you have mannytranny

·
Registered
414 Posts
Had mine replaced at 16K. Haven't had it replaced yet again. Have a box on it and I get vibration/noise bigtime at full boost, full foot to the floor in 4th, 5th, and 6th...

Waitin for an aftermarket clutch & flywheel that'll take more than 300hp. From the sounds of it, I might be waitin till hell freezes over...

My understanding is that the flywheel is warranted by the 100K engine warranty BTW since it comes as part of the engine.

Tim

·
Registered
42 Posts
The noise is a loud squeken noise. We might be gettin ready to have a real flywheel made. GM engineers are are going to look at mine in the next few weeks to see why my flywheels are going out every 3000 miles. I will tell you how to fix the squeken clutch pedal. I did mine myself. If you can get a local machine shop to turn a stainless steel shaft to fit on the pivot point and put grease fitting on it so you can get some grease around the shaft when you put in. After you get that done if you want to cut the two slide pins on both side of the spring off. And no the spring want come out. I'll try to get the dimensions on the pin if any body is interested.

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
I want GM to fix it...

It is pretty hard to chase noises in these trucks. Loud to begin with.

I seem to have developed a grab, slip and so on routine when slipping the clutch at idle in reverse. Never had that before.

Im going on a 2000 mile trip in a few days, I guess it will be a make or break type deal...

·
Registered
42 Posts
I made the pin myself and told the dealership to put it in. I've done both of my trucks like that. I got a spare clutch pedal from my old truck. So it was easy for me to make a new pin. And I haven't heard the sqeak since.

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
Why cant you just put some penetrating oil on the existing pin?

Hell, maybe Ill take a look at your dimentions of that pin...

That stupid squeak is driving me mad...

Thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
Me and the mechanic took mine out and put it back in about 5 time trying to fix it. We put grease, graphite, penetrating oil, and nothing on it. And I finally got tired and told him I would make a pin for it the next day. If you've ever seen it its about the cheapest setup you could come up with. Plastic to plastic.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I had to have mine replaced at about 4000km. Gm said they'ed upgraded the fly wheel already and just needed to order one for my truck. I'm up to 22000km now on the new flywheel and no noise since! For those of you who are still waiting for the upgraded wheel, maybe drop by your dealer and bug them a bit, cuz I had my problem fixed last november!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts