Diesel Place banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Performance mail order magazine has 1 Fluidampr and 2 Streetdamprs on overstock sale, around $160 & $110 respectively. Is there any difference besides no SFI approval and no paint on the Streetdampr? Why does it need SFI approval? Will the 5.7L be better off with the Fluidampr, or will a Streetdampr be good enough? What are the benefits of a fluid-filled damper over the stock?

Sorry for all the questions:rolleyes: , any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
I run STREETDAMPER's on everything but my all out race engines. I've got one on a 327 that can easily spin up to 7000 instantly, and the streetdamper works just fine. The SFI approval is for racing purposes. You couldn't install a NON SFI part on a certified all out race car that has to go through a tech inspection.

The fluid filled dampers are a nice addition to a high revving engine, or even a slightly modded engine. The fluid I feel dampens crankshaft vibration more smoothly than a elastomer damper, or even the solid SFI units. I don't care how well you balance an engine, you still have the piston and rod assembly starting and stopping every revolution of the crankshaft. This creates tremendous harmonic vibrations. I feel the fuids absorbs them rather than just covering them.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

Now I know what the difference is. Both my truck and dads truck are bone stock. I was looking at the dampers just for long life and protection. I've decided to go with the Streetdampr.

Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts