Diesel Place banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Some of the military 6.5 center mount turbos with mechanical IP used the crank reluctor for the transmission controller because the ESS would not fit under the turbo.
They use a different CPS than what the electronic IP's use.
It will have 2 wires instead of 3. It puts out the same signal as the ESS and can be used for a tach or as a replacement for a bad ESS.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Finally a picture of the relutor output

Some of the military 6.5 center mount turbos with mechanical IP used the crank reluctor for the transmission controller because the ESS would not fit under the turbo.
They use a different CPS than what the electronic IP's use.
It will have 2 wires instead of 3. It puts out the same signal as the ESS and can be used for a tach or as a replacement for a bad ESS.
Here are the pictures of the reluctor output, that I hope I can put a tachometer on, and the pulley on my alternator.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Looks like the correct 62mm pulley for a 95.
That is the 2 wire CPS, should work fine for a tach or the transmission if the ESS goes bad. What transmission do you have?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Looks like the correct 62mm pulley for a 95.
That is the 2 wire CPS, should work fine for a tach or the transmission if the ESS goes bad. What transmission do you have?
Thanks again Glagulator. It's the 4L80E transmission. Thanks for the great info on the CPS. The ESS (you mean engine speed sensor)? I don't have a wiring diagram for the motorhome (they just don't exist anymore for this 94 diesel pusher, I've checked everywhere and with SPartan the rame mnufacturer). The previous owner had burned up the wire bundle (located near the exhaust manifold), it looks like it had actually caught fire. The motor home was running fine when I bought it then there seemed to be some glictches and I spent some time underneath it when I found the burned wire bundle. I tried tracing wires through the burned cannon plug, but unfortunately even though I used a continuity tester to trace through the plug, but at some wires they all lit up. So, I'm sure I've got some crossed wires.

Point is that maybe have that ESS is screwed up now. Well I've go to go. Guys have a good one:)

Attachments

21 - 24 of 24 Posts