Diesel Place banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 58k on the truck. Changed the allison spin-on 3 times. Just looked in owners manual and it says to change the fluid every 25k-50k. Does everyone do this? Even though we change the spin-on? If I pull the plug and drain will this be suffiecient? Do I need to flush? If I just drain then how many quarts do I need to buy?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
You can flush it yourself if you want too ( see post 14 of below link for how too ). Myself and others have used this method and it worked well. In my case I was changing to synthetic and if your not making a change its probably not worth it. Having a tranny shop do a power flush (where they force fluid through ) is not recommended and sounds like it can cause troubles...... The 25k service your refering to is just pulling the plug on the tranny pan, draining and refilling. I believe the stock pan is 7 to 8 quarts and with the plug it is as easy as it gets....Bill

http://dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22403&highlight=tranny+flush

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can flush it yourself if you want too ( see post 14 of below link for how too ). Myself and others have used this method and it worked well. In my case I was changing to synthetic and if your not making a change its probably not worth it. Having a tranny shop do a power flush (where they force fluid through ) is not recommended and sounds like it can cause troubles...... The 25k service your refering to is just pulling the plug on the tranny pan, draining and refilling. I believe the stock pan is 7 to 8 quarts and with the plug it is as easy as it gets....Bill

http://dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22403&highlight=tranny+flush

Thanks. I must of had a brain fart not long ago. A few of these little things are sneaking up on me. Could be the 25K miles of driving since summer?:think:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts