Diesel Place banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to post my findings.. Changed front/rear diffs and the Alli spin on this past weekend. Alli magnet was real clean.. A little bit of fine dust but nice in the scheme of things.. Rear diff wasn't too bad, a few shavings but it was my second change. The front diff however was my first change and it had quite a bit of shards on it. I wouldn't say it was bad just more than I was expecting. Still, it's done now, Mobile 1 in and feeling better for changing it.. Truck has 5300 miles on her now. Anyone else with a 4x4 notice some collection on the front after the first change..?

·
Registered
444 Posts
I changed the front at 3000 and had the same thing. The oil was a mustard yellow color and there was a lot thick slime/goop on the plug.

I decided to run another 3000 miles and change it again and there was a lot less but still some of the yellow oil and that mustard slime and goop.

The oil has another 5000 on it now and I think I'll change it one more time.

I am wondering if there is some way water is getting in it. I traced the vent hose and it comes up in the engine compartment, to the front of the driver side wheel well. It looks like it's in a dry spot.

I havn't even used the front wheel drive yet; I am wondering why it is getting this way.

It seems to be a common problem. If you want to read about it there are several threads in this forum on it.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Yup, there was a lot of gunk on mine when I changed it at 3K. AAMOF, the front drain plug magnet had so much crap that it almost looked like it was wearing a sombrero.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts