Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have asked several questions about front and rear diff. fluid changes in the past. I am changing the front and rear diffs and transfer case tomorrow based on info from this site. I have two quick questions for ya'll. First is the vent cap on the front diff that eveyone talks about changing to the white cap located just adjacent to the fill plug (roughly3 inches in diameter)? If so then i already have a white cap installed on my '03 from the factory- is that possible? Next where on the transfer case are the drain and fill plugs located-- this may be obvious once i get all the way under the truck and start looking. I guess that was 3 questions.

Thanks for any and all input it is always good to get advice/pointers prior to starting!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yes it is possible to have the white vent cap. It seems that alot of the '03s had them from the factory.

The drain and fill plugs are on the back of the transfer case. They are both marked, and have a white thread sealer around the plug threads. You will see them once you get "down under" and take a good look.

Have fun, and good luck....Nothing to it !

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input, I have worked on things all my life-- cars, motorcycles, trucks, houses but still get a little case of "nerves" when doing something for the first time on a vehicle that lists for over 40 grand.

Guess that is the great thing about this site- always someone out there who has done it and willing to give good advice.

Thanks again BamaFan!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Drain plug on the rear differential is on the bottom and you need a 3/8 inch ratchet to fit in the square opening and open it. Take out the fill bolt first (located on the part of the differential you can see if you're behind the truck)
Front diff bolts are located towards the left front tire and yes, the white cap is above them. They are 13 and 15 mm.
The rear diff fill is also 15mm.

If you ever want to change shocks they are 21mm bolts and 15 mm for the front top. Good luck.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Can someone fill me in on the "white vent cap"? Is the original defective if other than white?

·
Registered
2020 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Z71
644 Posts
RMAX,

You should change to the white vent cap if you switch over to synthetic lube up front. Do a search, you will find plenty about it. If you look at Eric's signature he sells them, and Hoot's common part numbers thread in the DIY section has them listed as well.

Kevin

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
RMAX said:
Can someone fill me in on the "white vent cap"? Is the original defective if other than white?

The long and short of it is that the oem cap is likely black, it works just fine, the only reason for the white cap is that the oring on the black is not compatible with synthetiic fluid. It will worka nd many ran it with out trouble before we were told that the white cap must be installed. The cap can be had for 13.00

Eric

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I have 29K on the Mobil 1 in my front axle and have not lost a drop. If I do have a problem, I will change the "O". Later! Frank

·
Registered
168 Posts
I would use a neoprene oring. Good for different types of oils.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts