Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Has anyone had any problems with an aftermarket muffler being to loud instide the truck of a 8.1L. I know the 6.0 had a few problems with it but I put on the flowmaster big block 50 on this truck(the kit the has the dual 3" inlets and single 3.5" out with the bent adaptor pipe on it). and it was way to loud inside the truck. so I changed to a Gibson Cat back system and it is a little quieter in the cab. By the way the flowmaster is up for sale if anyone is interested. does anyone have any other suggestion on bringing down the interier noise. the outside noise is great. thanks Chris

·
Registered
644 Posts
Sounds like you need some sound deadening for your truck...especially the back wall of the cab...but might as well do the whole truck.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I put a FW 50 on my 8.1. It also has the 3 in and 2 outs. The interior noise is not bad as I have them ran out after the rear wheels. Also it may be less noise because of the 2 out instead of one. I love mine. It will be interesting to see how loud it is when I pull my FW trailer with it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
My Question Is Why Put On Exhaust System Not To Hear It? I Mean If I Put An Exhaust On My Truck I Wanna Hear When I Get Into The Pedal...not So Much At Cruising Speeds. And If I Had That 8.1 I Would Make Unbearably Loud.

·
Registered
644 Posts
My Question Is Why Put On Exhaust System Not To Hear It? I Mean If I Put An Exhaust On My Truck I Wanna Hear When I Get Into The Pedal...not So Much At Cruising Speeds. And If I Had That 8.1 I Would Make Unbearably Loud.
Because some people care more about performance....than sound.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
u can always have both performance and noise. That's when it's all good.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
You could try adding a resonator to the exhaust. They provide good tone control (almost stock sound) without power loss. I found these guys, but I am sure there are others available.
http://www.aero-turbine.com/buy/?flash=1

(the first ones are for diesels, but you could find one for your application scroll down for gassers)

JP

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Performance not noise

I want performance and some noise, just not too much where you have to scream at your kids in the back seat just to talk to them. I took you advice on the resonators and that was the trick. It toned down the interior noise alot, but still have the deep big block noise that I was looking for. Thanks again Chris:ro)

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
Glad it worked out.
JP

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Loud exhaust never bothered me til I rode in my brothers 03 (6.0). He put on true duals using a muffler called V Force. It is absolutely ridiculously loud on the inside. I hate riding with him. Its at the point that it makes you sick.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I am looking to put some exhaust on my 8.1 but I pull a travel trailer with it as well. I don't want any noise in the cab above stock but am looking for more performance flow.

·
Registered
419 Posts
MBRP has some great exhaust systems. They also have small resonators - which are really like minature high flow mufflers that you could add into your current system to knock down some of the drone or noise that you are getting, but keep the high flow exhaust flowing. You can look through the MBRP web site, or our web site to get an idea of what they have to offer for the gas vehicles. Just another option!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am going to install (2) Flowmaster 70 Series Big Block II Mufflers with 3" inlet/outlet. I am going to run dual 3" tail pipes as well. I have been told these mufflers will sound nice, not too loud and no drown noise inside the cab. They are not cheap though, $550. installed with new tail pipes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts