Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everything seems to happen at once.
The wife really likes her burb, so we decided to keep it and do some imporvments. Before we could start, it did - with the bucking problem ( in another thread)
While I'm at it, decided to do the crossover? downpipe upgrade from Flowmaster, and get rid of the CAT.

The kit came, and we removed the crossover and hung the downpipe. That was a bear, to get it lined up and the band clamp on. Finally did, and went to put on the crossover.. uh oh.

The old one came off real easy, ( soaked them in PB Blaster the night before)
but when we hung the new one- it rubs on the transmission cooling lines on the right side of the tranny, and it hangs down below the rear of the pan about 2 inches lower than the stock one. It is very noticeable as it is now the lowest thing hanging under the truck.

Took it back off and re-hung the factory crossover. The new down pipe rubs against the bracket on the right side of the crossover. ( IT did with the new one too) so it buzzes with the truck in gear.

Called Flowmaster. They seem helpful. Offered to send another crossover but they said that it will probably hang lower too. Most likely designed that way to give extra clearance between it and the tranny pan- since it is single wall pipe, not double like factory. He did say the one I have may have slipped in the machine and the angle might be wrong on the right side, causing the rub on the cooler lines.

The motor mounts are good- checked them while under the truck.

Moral is- I would not have ordered the kit if Flowmaster had said it would hang lower under the truck than stock. I would have just bought a downpipe from someone.

Oh yea- the bolts sent with the downpipe to replace the studs used are pretty undersized, by probalby a 1/16 in diameter. The mechanic at the shop was really under whelmed by them, but didn't have any larger ones on hand.

The whole job took 3 hours- that was mostly trying to get the DP to mate up and clamp.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
i just had a x-over done today. bought from warpspeed off of ebay. the system went together real smooth and the muffler is flo pro. i'll have to post pics of the x-over they removed. seems i had a slight exhaust leak cause about 1/16 of an inch was missing from the rim of the pipe.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Flowmaster sent another crossover pipe today, Same thing. It hits the transmission cooler lines. The original is at least 3 inches clearance.

FLowmaster is telling me there is not crossover application for Suburban.
I bought from Summit that says it does.

What a PITA.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
can u move the tranny lines. maybe go to ebay and search (crossover pipe 6.5L) should see an ad by warpspeed. send the flomaster back and get one of them other ones. i did and mine fit real smooth. Ed

1 - 4 of 4 Posts