Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd share some info on my flex plate and what happened so you locals might avoid it.. Had a bit of a different noise in the truck, very slight but it was there. Almost like a bent rod but then it was gone... Long story short I was idling on 63 for 4hrs bad accident, all seemed fine. Bout 3am highway opened, it started making noise after 10 km I really started to hear some **** going on. Thought the eng was hooped, stopped and listened seemed to quiet down. Drove er the 58km home, took a chance...

It's now at MPL Motorsports, new Mike L TQ, flywheel, flex plate, pump and I decided to freshin up the trans. The cage was worn bad along with the input shaft and the C3 clutch pack.. Expensive 58km

The good thing is I hear that Mike L TQ is the bomb with Twins

And Ted of course... The only guy I trust to rip into my truck...

·
R.I.P. Sam
32,078 Posts
How'd you get back to Lacombe? that would be an expensive tow

·
Registered
162 Posts
Any reason why it failed? Seems odd after idling it would all of a sudden let loose. Possible that maybe a few of your converter bolts fell out and went out of balance? Or just bound to happen with added power? I am curious since I just got a 08....

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
It was about a 1000$ to get it back to Lacombe on a flatbed. :-(
I have heard of them cracking before, it seems to be a common problem. I just pushed it too far. It let go before I got it on the flatbed.. It would be have been a lot less damage if it hadn't detached. The 1058 I had in there got damaged and I didn't want to chance it. Then the pump and rest of the trans got metal filings throughout. I ordered a BD billet flex plate and new GM fly wheel.

Just thought I'd throw it out there, maybe help someone else save a few bux.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Sorry to hear about your rig, but good to hear you got'er back on the road.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just keep in mind this sounded like a exhaust pipe possibly hitting some of the frame, really weird kinda was there then gone. After reading up on it here I should of looked into it closer..

I'm still on foot btw first day off is sat, bumming a ride to RD. HopefullytTed has all the parts and it's ready... There was only one fly wheel in the western Canada.. It was in Stettler! Now that's luck...

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
howd it turn out? Id like pricing info if you could PM me please

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I left the bill in RD, I'll get you the parts list when I get back there. I do know the TQ was 1400$
Overall it shifts really well. The big difference is the TQ it is a lot smoother than the 1058 SC. The lock up on the 1058 was very harsh right from new.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
yah a 1058 is more for sled pulling. My bud has one in his truck and it hammers pretty hard

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just a update about my truck, it's in the shop waiting for a new engine. It still was acting up with the same slight noise that it had previously. It has a broken crank , it still running and really doesn't sound that bad.. This probably was the problem all along. Caused me a lot of Extra money with the fly wheel and TQ etc. Got a new long block getting built in Calgary right now. Was gonna do a built engine but what's the point if the crank got twisted with my lil set up, what's to stop that from happening in a 25g engine? Any how gonna have a new engine, trans and thro in a new cp3.. Be happy if it lasts another 300km. So if you Boyz have any slight droan noises better check er out lol....

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Dam man!!!! Who is building the motor?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Wow, that is rotten luck. It's great you found the problem but it's the headache and expense of finding it that really hurts.My biggest question is how did the motor run with a busted crank? Got picks?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I'm getting a reconditioned one from Maverick in Calgary. Ted did mention Curtis, I dont know him personally but it sounded like the turn around time would be a while. Worst time of year right now as I sled and really am screwed without my deck and truck. It's7245$ with 1000$ return for my core. New pistons and rings, reconditioned heads, head studs and complete top end gasket kit. The block will be bored 20-40 over he said. I'm gonna get a new Danville cp3 while it's apart and do a few other things as well. Might do a Batmowheel on the primary but have to research more.

As for the engine it only started acting up after I was getting pissed and started bagging it. Then it started to rattle in the eng bay. It fired right up at the shop cold when Ted diagnosed it.. Sounds like they'll run along time with a broken crank. I thought if that happened it would be toast, learnt something new...

Got a sled buddy from Red Deer with a LBZ that broke his crank recently also.. Not sure how many miles

·
Registered
336 Posts
How they will run with a broken crank depends on where the break is and how rough it is. Where did yours break? Probably the first main. The old 6.2 and 6.5 diesels were bad for breaking cranks but, almost all of them were from over revving.

I was at Trent Nells shop in Utah a year ago and he had a guys engine in there with a broken crank. He builds and races these trucks and that was only the second one he had seen. He actually thought that there may have been a casting flaw in the crank that finally let go. These engines are virtually bulletproof with lots of high horse engines running stock cranks.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
It makes you wonder for sure, think there has been about 4 that I have heard of around here. Three of them had twins, mine isn't apart yet but it will be in the front were it is broken. Lots of rotating mass in the front and load. The twins get that engine reving quick so if there is a flaw guess it will show up.. Moores Machine shop in Calgary is doing the work on the block. It will have oversized Mahle piston, HeadStuds, main studs, rod studs. That's all I'm gonna do besides put that dowel pin kit for the crank. Just ordered a Danville Stage 1 turbo and Modded Cp3. Probably will replace the cooler while it's apart and upgrade those steering lines, hoping for some longevity again. It's actually treated me good till now. Considering the price of a new one, it's easier to handle the price tag..

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Oh man. Sorry to hear about your luck. I'm a little scared now. Been feeling a slight vibe but I was thinking it was a U joint going. Better look into it I guess. I've been putting it off as I had shoulder surgery before Xmas.

Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Curtis from Extreme Engine in Calgary is now building my engine, had to get my money back on the other deal. Hopefully should get it up and running by the end of March, looking forward to see how it performs differently with all the new parts.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Care to explain what happened at the other shop so we know to avoid it.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
The engine was supposed to be built in Calgary and machining at Moores. None of this happened, there where a few flags like the wrong head gaskets that I asked for. So long story short I told Ted to rip the heads off and investigate.. Long story short it had old pistons and one was cracked... This engine was farmed out and came from Texas I was told, after I was repeatedly told everything that left the shop was measured and checked.. I only had a partial payment down until I had the engine and inspected it..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts