Reactions: dieselolds

·
Administrator
19,018 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tell us about your vehicle you need the part for ( Year, Make, and Model ) and list any mods.
(y)
1995 . Chevy K2500 . 6.5-L V-8 OHV 16V Turbo Diesel . 5-Speed Manual . NV4500

Do I need to drop the entire transmission; can I just loosen and slide back: can I use old flex plate and flip it: and one more please, easiest way to turn manually turn engine. Installed new starter and it just grinds. Didn't have shims on but when I put them on it still grinds. Thank you again for your kindness. Heck, I'm allover the place - one hot mess.
Craig

·
Administrator
19,018 Posts
1995 . Chevy K2500 . 6.5-L V-8 OHV 16V Turbo Diesel . 5-Speed Manual . NV4500

Do I need to drop the entire transmission; can I just loosen and slide back: can I use old flex plate and flip it: and one more please, easiest way to turn manually turn engine. Installed new starter and it just grinds. Didn't have shims on but when I put them on it still grinds. Thank you again for your kindness. Heck, I'm allover the place - one hot mess.
Craig
The link you provided showed the part for a P30 van which is what is confusing you..

Go back into Rock Auto and type in the GM part number I posted above or look up the part by choosing a K2500 series truck in the catalog.

You can loosen the trans and slide it back enough to gain access for replacement.
You cannot flip the flexplate. It should only go on one way.
The starter will not line up properly and if I recall, bolts will rub when in motion..

If you are having a starter grind issue then make absolutely sure you have the starter support bracket in place. Without the support bracket the starter will torque itself off the engine block causing enough damage that you may have to replace the engine.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,504 Posts
X2 on the starter bracket.A mandatory item for every 6.2 and 6.5 engine out there.

Reactions: 56pan

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
He has a manual transmission.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Administrator
19,018 Posts
He has a manual transmission.
o_O oopps!... glad you caught that one..
They are going to need a flywheel instead of a flexplate... probably a whole clutch kit as well while they are in there (y)

·
Registered
13 Posts
First of all thank you everybody for your replies in very helpful.
Picked up flex plate...
Removed starter, exhust to remove dust cover, front and rear drive shaft.
Then removed the flexplate.
Installed flexplate, starter gear would not line up.
Then discovered that the flexplate bolt holes would not lineup.
Discovered that the previous owner installed a
700R4 transmission.
Reached out to the nasa for what it's working and they scratched their head and ass.What flexplate should I get.
Looks li,like, a 1950s plate. Can that so
So now what?
It's a Frankenstein I suspect.
I suspect t the guy put a vin in the windshield and sold it to em.
I'm so disappointed as this is my only work truck.

Also, truck only drove in D up to 20 pH, shift to 1st spinns, 2nd spinns, third it will run up to 50 pH, with 2 mpg.
Respectful submitted,
Craig Bradley
This to shall pass

·
Registered
7,484 Posts
Are you a troll? Flex plate, then 5 speed manual, then 700r4, then flip the flex plate? Flywheel?/ I tend to say figure out what the heck you have then report back, cus this don't add up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Are you a troll? Flex plate, then 5 speed manual, then 700r4, then flip the flex plate? Flywheel?/ I tend to say figure out what the heck you have then report back, cus this don't add up.
First off i am not a troll or whatever you choose to call me.
I have provided all the information that the VIN has afforded me. If you took the time to read my posts you would understand that i am in deair straights with the truck.
I pulled the flex plate off and tied to install a new plate. The new plate holes did not line up . I asked a friend to take a look and she told me that my transmissions was not the original transmission, and that it was a 700r4 4-speed auto .Npw she said just take it in and get "gasoline" flex plat that matches the older fp and she marked with an x on the plate where i nee the hole.
This entire starter swap has turned out to be a big fiasco. I just need to get my truck back and running. "Flipping the plate" I saw somewhere on this forum. Please, I'm trying best toto assist everyone here so that they can assist me, and hopeful others who have the same problem.

Im just a simple man, looking for some guidance and directions, thats all.
Respectfully submitted,
Craig Bradley

·
Administrator
19,018 Posts
First off i am not a troll or whatever you choose to call me.
I have provided all the information that the VIN has afforded me. If you took the time to read my posts you would understand that i am in deair straights with the truck.
I pulled the flex plate off and tied to install a new plate. The new plate holes did not line up . I asked a friend to take a look and she told me that my transmissions was not the original transmission, and that it was a 700r4 4-speed auto .Npw she said just take it in and get "gasoline" flex plat that matches the older fp and she marked with an x on the plate where i nee the hole.
This entire starter swap has turned out to be a big fiasco. I just need to get my truck back and running. "Flipping the plate" I saw somewhere on this forum. Please, I'm trying best toto assist everyone here so that they can assist me, and hopeful others who have the same problem.

Im just a simple man, looking for some guidance and directions, thats all.
Respectfully submitted,
Craig Bradley
Pictures can help determine things here in the forum (y)

·
Registered
7,484 Posts
Sorry, just a little confused . Far as I know all 6.5l Diesels require the same size flex plate specifically made for the 6.5. You can not use any other. The tooth count is special and the counter weight is special. 139 teeth
If the starter makes noise replace it. DO NOT SHIM.

·
Registered
1995 Chevy 3500 6.5TD Crew Cab Long Bed, All stock except for a Diamond Eye 4" Exhaust
8 Posts
like DieselPro said, the flex plate is a special one for the 6.5 . if someone has changed the trans from a NV4500 to a 700R4, there is a possibility things might be different. normally the 6.5 trucks came with ether the NV4500 or a 4L80E trans from what I have encountered. on my truck the previous owner didn't use the rear starter bracket which caused my block to break on the outer bolt hole for the starter and caused the flexplate to be damaged. in my search of how to repair this problem without having to replace the engine i did find out that the 6.5 trans bolt pattern is the same as any small block chevy meaning that just about any older GM trans will bolt right up. But the flexplate is unique, it should be a 139 tooth 14.5" diameter flexplate. I got very lucky with a welding job and a re-threading kit along with several prayers, it's still running after 6 months, but i don't expect it to last for ever. as OkDually said about the rear starter bracket, that tiny piece of metal is very important!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
like DieselPro said, the flex plate is a special one for the 6.5 . if someone has changed the trans from a NV4500 to a 700R4, there is a possibility things might be different. normally the 6.5 trucks came with ether the NV4500 or a 4L80E trans from what I have encountered. on my truck the previous owner didn't use the rear starter bracket which caused my block to break on the outer bolt hole for the starter and caused the flexplate to be damaged. in my search of how to repair this problem without having to replace the engine i did find out that the 6.5 trans bolt pattern is the same as any small block chevy meaning that just about any older GM trans will bolt right up. But the flexplate is unique, it should be a 139 tooth 14.5" diameter flexplate. I got very lucky with a welding job and a re-threading kit along with several prayers, it's still running after 6 months, but i don't expect it to last for ever. as OkDually said about the rear starter bracket, that tiny piece of metal is very important!
Oh thank you... been offline for a bit with this truck
got the flywheel it worked...
now i put it in
assemblen and
now 20mph good
anything over it spinns
have to put it in third to drive

brutal

tans guy said a need a popup valve for the cluthc?
evey hear of such a thing

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Could you post up a pic of the trans pan so we can ID the trans? If it is a 700R4 it wont hold up long behind a 6.5 turbo unless built strong. A stock 700R4 cant take the toque a 6.5 turbo puts out. Also there is no way to properly control a 700R4 with the 6.5 electronics.
700R4 must have throttle valve cable operated by throttle linkage. Which a 6.5 does not have. To control line pressure and also to set shift points.. With out a properly adjusted TV cable installed. Line pressures will be too low allowing the trans to slip. Which will burn out out the clutches. Also there is no way to control 700R4 Torque convertor lock up with 6.5 electronic control. A manual switch would have to be installed.
The only auto transmission 6.5s came with is the 4l80e. It is the only transmission the the computer will operate.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
There were L49 vin "P" elect. IP non-turbo 6.5's used in G20 vans and in fleet pickups with 4L60e automatics.
The pickups were single cab short bed only. The one's I have seen were railroad or gov. trucks.
The OBD1 PCM's our trucks use can control a 4L60e.
It is not documented for the OBD2.
Every 700r4 I have owned has cratered, gas and diesel, and they were not abused.
I have not had a 4L80 go bad, some with over 250k miles, and even pulling heavy trailers.

Reactions: 56pan

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry, just a little confused . Far as I know all 6.5l Diesels require the same size flex plate specifically made for the 6.5. You can not use any other. The tooth count is special and the counter weight is special. 139 teeth
If the starter makes noise replace it. DO NOT SHIM.
Thank you for your help.
Bought mounting bolts from ACE Hardware. Didn't work.
Bought from GM Dealer and it worked perfectly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Could you post up a pic of the trans pan so we can ID the trans? If it is a 700R4 it wont hold up long behind a 6.5 turbo unless built strong. A stock 700R4 cant take the toque a 6.5 turbo puts out. Also there is no way to properly control a 700R4 with the 6.5 electronics.
700R4 must have throttle valve cable operated by throttle linkage. Which a 6.5 does not have. To control line pressure and also to set shift points.. With out a properly adjusted TV cable installed. Line pressures will be too low allowing the trans to slip. Which will burn out out the clutches. Also there is no way to control 700R4 Torque convertor lock up with 6.5 electronic control. A manual switch would have to be installed.
The only auto transmission 6.5s came with is the 4l80e. It is the only transmission the the computer will operate.
Thank you again for you assistance.
You said:
"The only auto transmission 6.5s came with is the 4l80e. It is the only transmission the the computer will operate"
What are the chance that since it appear to be a 4L60E, and considering the sfifting problems, tht the exsisting computer, is actually for the 4L80E?
How do i find out the computer type without the RPO?
Update its a 95' Chevy K2500 . 6.5-L V-8 OHV 16V Turbo Diesel, with a 4L60E.
I have access to a 4L80E.
I may have to swap it out for a 4L80E.
Will it match up?
Bolt Patten?
What about the PCM, ECU, ECM compatibility for OBD1?
PCM, ECU, ECM compatibility for OBD1 Used search

A Certified YouTube Transmission Expert (friend) took a look at it and he argues that I need a special “Pop-Up, “thingy”” for the torque converter.
Wait...What? I have no idea.
I took it apart and it appears that the clutch is burnt out, and well, where did this special popup thing disappear to?
I just can’t get my mind around to what he is saying.
He wants me to ship out my torque converter to “some guy that rebuilds torque converter up in IL.

I told him that the truck shifted fine previously, with the exception that until recently, now the transmission gears slips, I can only drive in “D” up to 20 mph, then it slips. I shift it into 3rd…same thing slips, shift into 2nd, same thing slips, shift it into 1st, and it runs, although loud and I’m sure hard on the transmission and engine. I don’t go over 50 mph. Of course, I’m leaking fluids, and burning smells.

This entire fiasco started with the replacement of a starter, and then a new flex-plate. Then I discovered that according to the VIN, my truck is a 5-speed manual, of which it is not.

Heck, I don't even know what the heck I'm driving anymore - its all driving me crazier the deeper I get in this rabbit hole. I'm getting to old for all of this.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated,
Respectfully submitted,
Craig

20210331_183809.jpg
Christine95B.jpg
Christine95C.jpg
Christine95D.jpg
Christine95E.jpg
Christine95F.jpg
Christine95G.jpg
Christine95H.jpg
Christine95I.jpg
Christine95J.jpg
Swap
Vehicle Specifications 1995 . Chevy K2500 . 6.5-L V-8 OHV 16V Turbo Diesel

VIN 1GCFK24P6SE200426

year1995makeChevrolet
modelC/K 2500trimHD 8-ft. Bed
styletypePickup Truck
sizeLargecategoryStandard Pickup Truck
made_inUnited Statesmade_in_cityPONTIAC
doors2-Doorfuel_typeDiesel
fuel_capacity34.00 gallonscity_mileage12 miles/gallon
highway_mileage15 - 16 miles/gallonengine6.5-L V-8 OHV 16V Turbo Diesel
engine_size6.5engine_cylinders8
transmission5-Speed Manualtransmission_typeManual
transmission_speeds5-SpeeddrivetrainFour-Wheel Drive
anti_brake_system2-Wheel ABSsteering_typeRecirculating
curb_weight4744 poundsgross_vehicle_weight_rating
overall_height75.80 inchesoverall_length212.60 inches
overall_width76.80 incheswheelbase_length131.50 inches

SWAP 4L60E to 4L80E. 1995 . PCM, ECU, ECM compatibility for Chevy K2500 . 6.5-L V-8 OHV 16V Turbo Diesel -

1 - 20 of 21 Posts