1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
593 Posts
this has been talked about do a search and check out the info i think it would be a great idea just wondering how it would be towing tho

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I thought that electric fans were debunked a while back as a zero sum game or worse.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I thought that electric fans were debunked a while back as a zero sum game or worse.
But it seems all of the opinions come from people who have never had electric fans on a diesel, I'm not saying they are good or bad, but I don't think anyone here has actually installed the flex-a-lite's and said they were good or bad.
I do know of one guy who uses a electric fan when he is drag racing, but its run on a switch.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I put together a set for my last gasser pickup, searching for better fuel mileage -- I was disappointed. HP gains can, of course, only be expected when the clutch fan would have been engaged, which I don't find is very often on the Max. Same for mileage gains... I have never heard my fan come on at highway speeds. I can vouch for the better AC output claim, which is a problem on some of these trucks.

I suppose it'd be a good idea for guys who tow in city traffic (especially if you put one on the tranny cooler too), but otherwise don't see the benefit.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The electric fan moves 6000CFM. I think I read in another thread that the engine-driven fan moves something like 20,000CFM (Not sure about that number, but I know it was a lot more air than the electric). I think the consensus was that an electric fan could not be used for towing.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I think the consensus was that an electric fan could not be used for towing.
Yes that was the consensus, but did anyone actually do any testing, it still seems just opinons not hard data, Also where are these guys towing? Death Vally, Rocky Mountains, or in the Northeast ( few mt's and cooler temps).

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
That's what I thought I saw in ads for these products in the past. Not recommended for towing. So why bother with it?

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
also carhauler talked to them at the SEMA show. same story.

·
Registered
722 Posts
i basicley had the same setup on my 2000 454 there was defenetly a noticeable diference in engin proformance mainly in the low end to mid range RPM engin would spin up noticably faster defenetly warmed up quicker (wich was the maine reason for buying it ) the olny draw back was when towing (got a little warm espeshal with the supercharger humming away lol)and thay are right it is not reccomended for towing
would you realy want to put one on the newer diesels are the fan clutchs electronicly controled? like a A/C compressor
sorry for the spelling to much coffee haha

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.