Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new DP mag has these in there in the Showing off at SEMA section. Their website does not have a price, but says:

• Dual 15" S-blades move 6000 CFM!
  • Includes new Variable Speed Control (60% to 100% depending on cooling required)
  • Glass reinforced nylon injection molded shroud
  • Dyno tests showed a gain of 27HP & 34 lb-ft. torque at the wheels
  • Increase fuel mileage by at least 1 MPG
  • Cooler A/C output
  • Quicker engine warm-up
  • Size: 17" high x 31-7/8" wide x 4-1/2 deep
Looks like a good setup. I'd love to see how it controls the on and off functions of the fans. What do you guys think?

Attachments

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
I think the general consensus is it won't move enough air if you are towing. Probably perfect for a truck that just runs around empty all the time.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
There is a temp sensor that's placed in between the radiator fins closest to rad input. On the control module there's an adjust screw to set 60% "on" temp, 100% on about 10-15 degrees above minimum set point. Use scanner to watch ECT and turn screw counter clockwise until fans kick on. There's an input for A/C comp operation, fans run at 60% whenever A/C is on.

These work great on 8.1, not sure how they'll do on Dmax

BTW.... TCM has to be moved, what we did on one was to relocate battery to Pass side and mount TCM in L side batt tray, we got pass side tray from GM

·
Registered
489 Posts
I seen on there web site they had em straped to a big alloy rad.

·
Registered
5,108 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
This topic has been gone over before. They do not move enough air to keep the thing cool in the summer. I think the stock fan moves a lot more CFM than those fans can move. I am thinking that it moves 12,000 cfm at lockup or maybe even more.
My experience has been that s blades don't do as good as job at moving air as straight blades do, but they take less power to spin them, so I guess there is a tradeoff. Not going to risk it on the max. I would put them on an 8.1 liter gasser, they would probably work good for that.

·
Registered
593 Posts
i really would like to know if they work or not from someone running them. i run electric fans on alot of cars with noproblem just not sure about the towing issue that people are talking about i have no experience with the fans when it comes to towing

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
I have measured our cooling with no fan and shroud, and we have decent cooling. I have no reason to believe you couldn't tow up to 8k with these electrics and be fine, maybe even 10k if you don't have mountains to deal with.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Regarding towing. Wouldn't you rather drive the fan from the crankshaft than make the alternator work harder to run the electric motor, plus consuming power making electricity just to convert it back into motion? I went through an electric fan kick about 17 years ago. I had two 14" fans on my truck. Absolutely couldn't begin to keep it cool while towing. I know alot of cars use electrics w/o any problems, and they work good w/AC at low speeds, but low speed high load conditions are another story.

·
Registered
12 Posts
They work fine, as long as you install correctly. Ran on on my 03 and pulled 9000 to 11000 quite often. Most problems come from not running large enough wire for the current draw. Fans today are so much more efficient than those of 10 to 15 years ago that you can't compare.

As for a stock fan pulling 12000 cfm,,,,, not a good guess. Being a firefighter, we use positive pressure fans all the time. One that will flow that much air takes alot of power and very tight tolerances against the shroud.

·
Registered
293 Posts
That price is a pile of crap. You can build a kit from summit for $200 and it works just as well. I did this mod on my old 03 gasser. Definately worth it. Only thing that sucked was that when the fan controller raised the draw up to 100% the lights would dim. Not to mention the fans were very loud. I would do them again if I wasent so busy with work and school.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Would specs in a service manual not tell us the CFM of the stock fan? 12,000 seems a bit high.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I read the closed post on the flex a lite fan for the dmax and just wondering if anyone has taken the electric fan step yet.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
According to those that should know 12thou CFM is a little high but close, as to electric draw /alt vs electic motor/HP draw from the ALT. Hands down electric fans are NOT a problem , Flex-a-lite themselves says NO on the towing , Tx is likley right on with 8 to 10 thou with no mountains , in the overheating wars I did a considerable amount of research and the only negative is electric fans just do not move enough air for a towing application with whats available.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Is there enough room for both fans, clutch and electric? ( no real purpous, just curious)

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Is there enough room for both fans, clutch and electric? ( no real purpous, just curious)
I guess if you puts the fans up front as "pushers":confused:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts