Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I'm contemplating having my truck body / rockers, cab corners ect/ fixed on my truck. It's got 170k miles, I bought it with 80k miles on it, so I know the truck well and have taken good care of it. Trying to decide whether to spend approximately 8k on a good paint job with repairs or spend 20k and trade for newer truck with probably almost the same miles. Mine is an 05 ccsb. I really like it I'm just torn to fix or replace it.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
As someone who is doing the same to a 10 year older truck, I have to say that the verdict is mixed. Even if you spend 8 grand on a paint job, rust has already compromised the frame, cab mounts, axles/other components. You have have it all repainted or POR15'd or powder coated. A hard winter and all that will basically begin to degrade in a hurry. I have rusted through cab mounts I'm dealing with now. I won't have money to even fix the body. Just get it road worthy again. 3 years ago I sanded and POR15'd huge portions of my frame and its about back where it was when I did it.

8 grand is just buying time. Its not truly "fixing" anything. Typical window for rust through on rust repair is 3-6 years. Which, it might only cost a few hundred bucks to get patched up then. Don't know. A good relationship with the body shop, some frank discussions about longevity, a good analysis of the undercairrage...

Reactions: mp06011999

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The cab mounts definitely are not rusted through. Yes rusted though. They are still solid. The lower rear shock mounts are rusted pretty good. It's just sad to think that a 45 thousand dollar truck 13 years old is beyond wanting to repair or non repairable with only 160k miles on it...

·
Registered
26 Posts
im dealing with the same problem cab corners and rocker panels frame surface rust and roting fuel lines just had one start leaking at the coolers

·
Registered
3 Posts
My LLY is at 336,000. It was in great condition until I moved to Michigan. Seven years here and the rockers and cab corners are in need of being replaced. However when I look at the cost of a newer truck, fixing it just makes sense. Especially with all of this EPA horse crap that taking the market.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I am in the same boat with my 05, I had rockers and cab corners done a few years ago at a cost of $3600. My bed is completely shot now and the rockers are starting to rust again from chipped paint. Mine is a plow truck so It sees about the worst conditions. It just snow balls, i did breaklines, fuel lines trans lines all because of rust. I did recently bite the bullet and get a 2019 GMC 3500 L5p but I dont want to subject it to the abuse of snow plowing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts