Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess the RV posting area is gone? Anyway I am considering getting out of my pull trailer, and moving to a fifth wheel. My simple question is how much pin weight are any of you carrying with a 2500 without modifications...besides the bilstiens.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have been watching this question for a while. It seems that everyone i talk to is really close to the 9200 lb max.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I'll answer this question, but I have to stay anonymous, I don't want the weight police coming after me.:rolleyes:

The first time I had the truck and trailer weighed I was stock in tires, shocks, etc. The pin weight came in at (better sit down) 4700lbs.:eek:

I have since done a couple of things to lower that number and have gotten it to within the posted range of the tires. Upgrading the tires to 265's was the first. It gives an extra 800lbs carrying capacity over the stock tires. I have not upgraded the wheels and honestly, don't plan on it. I still have to add the Bilsteins and hope to do that soon. I also added the Firestone Superduty Air Bags. Highly recommend.

I was honestly very surprised and pissed at what the trailer weighed the first time I had it weighed. At the time I bought the truck and trailer, the weight issue was just starting to come out and although I researched what the trailer was supposed to weigh (yes, I added for options), it was no where near correct.

Personally, with the trucks we have a safe zone IMHO is a trailer that has a pin weight not exceeding 3000lbs and that's only if you've upgraded your tires. Otherwise, try to keep it around 2500lbs. I'll admit that I still exceed my own safe zone recommendation but I can also honestly say that I still have a couple of things I am doing to get it down to that point.

My recommendations do have you exceed the 9200lb max, but only by 1500lbs.):h

·
Registered
86 Posts
I guess the RV posting area is gone? Anyway I am considering getting out of my pull trailer, and moving to a fifth wheel. My simple question is how much pin weight are any of you carrying with a 2500 without modifications...besides the bilstiens.
I pull 10000 lb with a 1400 lbs pin weight with no problems all the time.
I have pulled the inlaws trailer 2400lbs pin weight 14000 lb trailer weight no problems. (shhhhh don't tell the weight police :D )
The truck is all stock power train 2500 HD/DA CC.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Damn...spelling is off today.):h I did have 265 E range tires, but did go with some 285 D's the last time.....getting bald though,:rolleyes: so can decide on those soon. The unit I'm looking at is going to realistically be around 2,000# at the pin, loaded, with a total weight of 11/K. What I was most interested in was what capacity the stock springs will give us, but will have to see before going with air assist.....or? I am running out of room also far any more add ons.:eek:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a 35 foot 5th wheel that I would guestimate goes 14K loaded. My pin weight is advertised at 1400 lb. I know it barely squishes my C3500 dually and I pulled this same trailer with a '98 3/4 ton with no modifications or problems. To properly establish your pin weight you need to weigh you drive axel only with no trailer then weigh the drive axel again with the 5er attached and subtract the first weight that will give you your pin weight. Just make sure to adjust the hitch so the 5er pulls level. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
183 Posts
...The unit I'm looking at is going to realistically be around 2,000# at the pin, loaded, with a total weight of 11/K. What I was most interested in was what capacity the stock springs will give us, but will have to see before going with air assist.....or? I am running out of room also far any more add ons.:eek:
That's about the same total weight and maybe a couple hundred pounds less pin weight than our 5er weighs in and the truck in my sig. handles it just fine. It sits down a couple inches in the rear when hooked up, but never squats below level. Here's a link to a pic of our team hooked up and ready to go.

http://webpages.charter.net/bluenote/new_team_2.JPG

·
Registered
279 Posts
Pin Weight

In round numbers, 1,700 #. No problem with stock tires at 75 air pressure.

Jomar

·
Registered
214 Posts
Don't have the last weight strip with me, but GCW was 23,400, rear axle was below the tires/wheel rating in sig by a small amount (100#'s +/-) and truck was around 10,200 IIRC. Front axle seemed to vary about 200 or 300#'s from empty to loaded. 0 problems up hills or down or on the flats. Very stable in curves and cross winds or passing/being passed by trucks. 4800 mile trip averaged 13 mpg (with 5er), life of truck 16 mpg (58,000 miles original injectors) and can get 20 - 22+/- mpg without 5er with GW up to 8500#'s.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Moto,
Most 285's have a load rating roughly 300lbs more than the stockers. I stand by my original post with your tires BUT NOT BY YOUR RIMS! I've seen aftermarket rims with ratings as low as 2000lbs each that fit our trucks. If you don't know, do yourself a favor and find out what they are rated for. The good ones will have a rating of 3400-3500lbs per wheel.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Weight police? I believe the weight restrictions on public roads are only applicable to COMMERCIAL vehicles. Personal RV's should be exempt.
They may be exempt from public weight restrictions, but no tow vehicle can exceed the mfg ratings. I know this sounds like the weight police, but you are taking a chance if overloaded. If you happen to be involved in a serious accident while towing, there is a good chance that the insurance company will take your damaged truck and trailer to the scales. If things are over weight, its a great escape clause for the Insurance company. For me, its not worth the risk.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Rims, tires, bilstiens, Airbags.....4K lb pin weight. Oops you said without modifications. Oh well.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds like I'll be in the ball park to start. I 'm not sure of the ratings on my MKW wheels....will have to check that.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
The "real" weight police are only interested in axle weight/ ratings and gross combination weight/ ratings.

The 2500HD is rated for 6084 lbs rear axle. The AAM 1150 axle is rated for 10913 lbs but for our trucks is de-rated to 6084 lbs because of the 245 tires. The average rear weight of our trucks is +-3000 lbs. With my flat bed and tools I weigh in at 3800 lbs rear.

For most everyone subtract your "legal" rear axle rating of 6084 lbs by the rear weight unloaded (approx. 3000 lbs) and you get a 3084 lbs max additional weight.

In my case I have about 2200 lbs left for pin. My trailer is really close to that (still need to weigh it again). But, I still "count" the extra 800 lbs capacity the 265 tires give me as a "safety" margin.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The "real" weight police are only interested in axle weight/ ratings and gross combination weight/ ratings.

The 2500HD is rated for 6084 lbs rear axle. The AAM 1150 axle is rated for 10913 lbs but for our trucks is de-rated to 6084 lbs because of the 245 tires. The average rear weight of our trucks is +-3000 lbs. With my flat bed and tools I weigh in at 3800 lbs rear.

For most everyone subtract your "legal" rear axle rating of 6084 lbs by the rear weight unloaded (approx. 3000 lbs) and you get a 3084 lbs max additional weight.

In my case I have about 2200 lbs left for pin. My trailer is really close to that (still need to weigh it again). But, I still "count" the extra 800 lbs capacity the 265 tires give me as a "safety" margin.

Thanks...those ratings are what I have lost track of over time. Is everyone using a slider hitch for their shortbed?

·
Registered
88 Posts
My pin weight is right around 2300 pounds. Sure wish the freshwater tank wasn't so far forward!

Only suspension mods I have other than Bilsteins are airbags.

·
Registered
88 Posts
cdhd2001,

That's great stuff. That makes me feel better. I do have 265's on the stock rims, but am going to be switching to 16x8 Welds.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
cdhd2001,

That's great stuff. That makes me feel better. I do have 265's on the stock rims, but am going to be switching to 16x8 Welds.
Check the weight rating on the new wheels. Most aftermarket 16" wheels are rated for 2,200-2,400 lbs.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Thanks...those ratings are what I have lost track of over time. Is everyone using a slider hitch for their shortbed?

Underbed mount roller slider here. A must if you get yourself into a tight spot.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Great thread!

I have been wondering the same things. Last weekend I took my trailer out for our first trip. I realized that the stated weights in the sales material were "bunk"! My pin weight was about 2,400# (total weight of rear axle was 5,850#. Does that sound OK? I have 285's on aftermarket rims (don't know which kind but will check). The total weight of the trailer (connected to the truck) is about 9,800#. Is it correct to add that to the pin weight and assume the trailer is about 12,200#?

BTW, I use a Pullrite Superslide hitch which I installed myself. Didn't want to take a chance on ruining a vacation with a blown out window and risk injuring the kids in the back!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts