Diesel Place banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to fish a wire from the cab to the rear of the bed for a back-up camera, It's the kind that is magnetic. Right now i just run the wire out the rear seat window when I am hooking up my camper. I thought if I could run this wire permanetly it would be easier especially in bad weather. I would rather not drill any holes anywhere. Has anybody run a wire like this? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
wouldn't it just be easier to drill a hole behind or under the seat, put the wire through then silicone the hole w/ the wire in it this way it doesn't chafe or rub? that's how i did my boost controller and strobes, goin on 2yrs and no problems yet.

·
Registered
6,552 Posts
Well two ideas...
The first one is there is vent holes I have read about people using to run wiring into the cab. It's on the backside of the cab and would come in behind the rear seats.
I've never seen/done that.
I have however seen it come in from the parking brake cable grommet. It's on the drivers side and If i remember correctly you don't even have to remove the fender liner.
that would put it behind the dash and you could go from there.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
Well two ideas...
The first one is there is vent holes I have read about people using to run wiring into the cab.
x2. That's what I've done. Use something to snake in from the outside. The vents come out behind the back seats; you have to flip up the little spring-loaded carpeted boards. I've had luck with a piece of 12ga extension cord wire. Might also want to run a couple pieces of string in case you want to run something else later on...

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
x2. That's what I've done. Use something to snake in from the outside. The vents come out behind the back seats; you have to flip up the little spring-loaded carpeted boards. I've had luck with a piece of 12ga extension cord wire. Might also want to run a couple pieces of string in case you want to run something else later on...
that is a good idea, didn't think about that. forget mine lol.

·
Registered
96 Posts
In doing a rear view camera on our 2007 classic, we ran it along the top of the drivers side frame and then under the drivers mat where the parking brake cable comes through, there is a large rubber grommet that you can poke a hole through and push through a video/power cable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts