Diesel Place banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have access to 100 55gallon drums of fish oil from a old fish processing plant. The former owner claims the oil contains no processing chemicals, just oil from the processing. He also said the oil is about 10-15 years old and has been stored in plastic lined drums.

My question is has anyone tried using fish oil in the manufacturing of biodiesel?

I will take a sample within the next 2 weeks to see what it is like.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Any sort of oil like that will work. You could take whale blubber, fish oil, vegitable oil, anything like that, and using the testerfication process, break the long chain oil molecules down into biodiesel, and throw away the gylcerin.

I read about a man with an old diesel school bus with two fuel tanks. He'd start his diesel up with pump diesel and switch it over to well filtered vegitable oil (not biodiesel). This untreated strait vegitable oil (SVO) would run in his bus, but would not start it up. The bus needed to be running and hot before he switched over.

I would not put SVO in my truck, but I would put in 100% biodiesel.

Still, I would not be surprised if you could burn that fish oil straight, if the motor was running and hot. It would be perfect if it was made into biodiesel and all the water and soaps were removed.

I read about another fellow with a diesel Le Sharo RV that drove it cross country. He used 100% biodiesel, although I don't know where it got it. Perhaps he made it along the way.

The only thing holding me up from making my own biodiesel is the cost for tanks and a means of transporting the UVO. An extra bed tank, or a dedicated truck for transporting the stuff is a good solution. If you are handy, I think you can make all this stuff yourself.

Some people make trailers with all the processing equipment in one portable solution. You need a couple of big storage tanks and pumps also. If you own your own place, the storage tanks can go underground.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts