Diesel Place banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here's my first post to the board.
I dont have the truck yet but its not far off.
I plan picking up a 03 gmc with the dmax in it and I am interested to see what the first aftermarket power/performance upgrade is that I should do.
I have read quite a few post on the trans upgrades and different ecm programmers. My goal with this is to eventually have as much power as possible by "dialing" different levels and have everything work together to support the power increase.

Is there an step by step process that anyone would recommend, ie. 1. air filter 2. exhaust 3. a Banks system etc...

I am in the process of selling my '00 1500 then when I find the "right" Max I will be even happier!

·
Registered
16,973 Posts
Welcome to the Diesel Place... Going to have to make sure and not get you and the other big d mixed up... First off I would suggest that you try the search feature at the top right side of the page. I think that you will find more info than you know what to do with. Then take some time and just kick back and read the forums as most of the questions you will ask, have already been answered. Thanks for joining and enjoy..

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Basic upgrades;
Gauges
Exhaust
Tranny

If 4wd;
Front end components

Now you can add power...

·
Registered
809 Posts
welcome to the place! I think i ruined the name for you:D
first off you live extremly close to one of the top dmax shops in the country MerchantAutomotive, who is in zeeland Mi and second stay away from banks unless you plan on nothing more then just a harness box type tuner it will not get you the power you will want if you plan on doing your trans and other things. If you start with merchant he will set you straight he goes by dmaxallitech on this site.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We will have to remember the ' in the names I guess. But if we look any thing alike that would be scary!!

I think we I pass through the Holland / Zeeland area again I might stop in and get some ideas.

I intend on getting some gauges so I know what is going on first then not sure if exhaust or intake or second upgrade

welcome to the place! I think i ruined the name for you:D

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hey bigd, Welcome to the diesel world, like bigD said check out Merchant Automotive for all that you may want to do. If you plan on pulling or drag racing your truck I can help you set it up, I work for Eric, also check out www.duramaxracing.com and see some of the fun YOU could have. Hope to meet you at the shop.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I have to agree with gauges first, that way you can monitor what your engine is doing, or not doing. Keep in mind that anytime you help a diesel breathe better it will perform better. So adding an air intake systems and exhaust will make that happen. From there its all in what you want, need or can afford and how far you want to go.

Read about the products that the members here are using and you will get a good feel for what works and what does not.

And remember to visit any of the vendors that advertise here to get a good deal on any of the products you are looking for. I wish you well in your upgrades! Welcome to the diesel world!

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Well here's my first post to the board.
I dont have the truck yet but its not far off.
I plan picking up a 03 gmc with the dmax in it and I am interested to see what the first aftermarket power/performance upgrade is that I should do.
I have read quite a few post on the trans upgrades and different ecm programmers. My goal with this is to eventually have as much power as possible by "dialing" different levels and have everything work together to support the power increase.

Is there an step by step process that anyone would recommend, ie. 1. air filter 2. exhaust 3. a Banks system etc...

I am in the process of selling my '00 1500 then when I find the "right" Max I will be even happier!
you sound like youre going for a lot of power, start with the tranny. save your money from tuners, get your tranny first, then you can add what you want... if you do the tuners first, then youre going to need a tranny for sure. tranny is the weak link.

·
Registered
119 Posts
What's the best place to get gauges?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts