Diesel Place banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I drove down to Portland International Raceway last night to meet up with Jerry (Osubeaver) and some of his friends to run my truck for the first time at the track with twins.

After a quick run down the track in 2wd on the low tune just to familiarize myself with the track (first time to this one) and pulled off a 14.2.

I then ran up against Jerry. His truck ran really well, consistently crossing the traps in under 14 seconds at around 100mph all night. I on the other hand was not so fortunate.

The first run Jerry launched at about 10psi and got a hell of a jump on me since I didn’t build any boost, remember first time to the track with this setup and I didn’t want to do anything crazy on my first run. Anyway he was ahead about 3-4 lengths by the time I started building boost. By the 8th he was down to about 2 lengths and I was gaining very quickly then just before the 1000 foot mark my intercooler pipe blew off at about 50-52psi. I ended up coasting the rest of the race and being slightly on the breaks before crossing the traps at 14.1 sec @ 102 mph.

So after reconnecting the intercooler pipe we run them again, this time I build up to about 10 psi but unfortunately Jerry red lighted and beat me off the line by just under .5 sec. He was about 2 lengths ahead when I was up to about 40 psi and climbing very quickly. My truck had just started to take off and I think I would have been ahead by the 8th. Than a really loud pop followed by lots of air woosh as the stock drivers side intercooler pipe blows out of both boots and from what I was told later was followed by lots of “oooooooo”s from people in the stands.

That was my second and final run of the night 20sec @ 40mph. We determined that the intercooler pipe was crimped where it connected to the turbo and was just going to keep blowing off so I ended up reconnecting everything and starting the 2 hour drive home.

It has been suggested that I get the ends of the pipes flared out, but I am thinking of getting something more solid to replace it, maybe a Banks pipe if they will sell it on its own.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks to Jerry and his friends. It was good meeting all of you and I appreciate you lending me your tools.

-Mike

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Pm Sent..

·
Registered
648 Posts
Mike,

I have cut the upper end off of the drivers side IC pipe (if it is steel) off before to make it bigger and roll a bead outward. On the aluminum ones I have flattened the pipe and then rolled the bead outwards. It seems to work better that way but some trucks never blow either.

Nathan

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the quick input.

Do you think I should replace the rubber boots as well?

I am planning on upgrading my intercooler in the future and getting some piping made to match the twins better but that will not be for a few months so in the mean time what you suggest is pretty much inline with what the guys at the track were saying so I will give that a try for now.

I was planning on attending a dyno day next weekend so hopefully I will have a chance to get it fixed before then other wise I will be back on the road and it will be a month before I get to it. I will post on here when I do.

Its odd how after a months of it working great even pushing upwards of 55psi the one day I finally get to the track and all I was worried about was breaking something in the front end and a piece of rubber keeps me from running how I wanted.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I am planning on upgrading my intercooler in the future and getting some piping made to match the twins better but that will not be for a few months so in the mean time what you suggest is pretty much inline with what the guys at the track were saying so I will give that a try for now.

I was planning on attending a dyno day next weekend so hopefully I will have a chance to get it fixed before then other wise I will be back on the road and it will be a month before I get to it. I will post on here when I do.

Its odd how after a months of it working great even pushing upwards of 55psi the one day I finally get to the track and all I was worried about was breaking something in the front end and a piece of rubber keeps me from running how I wanted.
Same thing happened to me the first time I took my truck to the track with the twins. I blew the boot coming off the stock charger on the drivers side. Scarred the hell out of me when it blew! I had beat the hell out of it on the street with no issues at all running close to 50psi's.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just ordered a new 3" drivers side intercooler pipe with boots, clamps, etc. from Banks.

The factory one looked weak and it probably would have cost me nearly has much to have the ends flared and buy new boots on my own.

Now I just need to find a powder coating place nearby.

Should be fixed by this weekend :coolnana:

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Sorry for the problems. It sounds like your truck is running well though.

·
Registered
903 Posts
www.ctspecialties.com
2815 37th Ave SW # 120, Olympia - (360) 786-0274

They do really good work with a very fast turn around. They are also really good with the silvervain to be able to match your aftermarket pipe. Take both new pipe and aftermarket pipe in to get a perfect match.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Mike, I'd be real careful building too much boost with a stock motor. I have mine turned down to 43psi on my daily driver. I blew a head gasket on my last truck, although it was before we installed the twins. :D Are you tuning your truck yourself?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
www.ctspecialties.com
2815 37th Ave SW # 120, Olympia - (360) 786-0274

They do really good work with a very fast turn around. They are also really good with the silvervain to be able to match your aftermarket pipe. Take both new pipe and aftermarket pipe in to get a perfect match.
Thanks for the info, that is perfect.

Mike, I'd be real careful building too much boost with a stock motor. I have mine turned down to 43psi on my daily driver. I blew a head gasket on my last truck, although it was before we installed the twins. :D Are you tuning your truck yourself?
I'm running IdahoRobs's tunes. I only push 36psi on the street, but have pushed 54-56psi on the race tune with no issues until now. I do have head studs and a few other things in future plans

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Mike, try adjusting the wastegate so it opens earier. I keep mine in the 50psi range at the track. This may help your boot problem also. They run well at 50lbs of boost. Sounds like it is running well.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Hey Mike, it was a pleasure meeting you and Amanda.

Sounds like you're on your way to getting this fixed. No problem on the tools and stuff. Jason has enough tools in his pickup to fix just about anything. He's bailed me out many times.

I hope you can make it back down next spring/summer to run.

Although I have a lot of work to do between now and then if I want to keep up.:D

Coasting through at 102mph.... nice.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hey Mike,
Sounds like your truck is going preety fast! If you want to go to a track that is closer to you there is the Bremerton raceway up this way. It is probable only and hour from where you are if you go up through Shelton. If you head up this way let me know and we can meet up there somtime. My buddy has a 2000 454 2500 that he is allways braging up but can't beat a D-Max who likes to go with me.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mike, try adjusting the wastegate so it opens earier. I keep mine in the 50psi range at the track. This may help your boot problem also. They run well at 50lbs of boost. Sounds like it is running well.
I have it set to hold at about 51psi on the street right now, although I am not sure what it was pushing when it came off the first time. The second it was pushing less than 45psi but the pipe was already crap by then.

I hope you can make it back down next spring/summer to run.
Although I have a lot of work to do between now and then if I want to keep up.

Coasting through at 102mph.... nice.
The new Bank’s pipe is supposed to be delivered on Friday. I was thinking about heading down to the on Saturday but I think I am just going to attend the dyno day up here since it is closer and free. I will definitely be in touch before I head down there again though.

Hey Mike,
Sounds like your truck is going preety fast! If you want to go to a track that is closer to you there is the Bremerton raceway up this way. It is probable only and hour from where you are if you go up through Shelton. If you head up this way let me know and we can meet up there somtime. My buddy has a 2000 454 2500 that he is allways braging up but can't beat a D-Max who likes to go with me.
I heard there was a track up north. I’ll definitely be heading that way the next chance I get, and I’ll be in touch before hand. Send me a link to its site if you have one.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My new pipe came in the mail on Friday but when I went to install it I got the unpleasant surprise of finding that Banks sent me the wrong one.

I am interested to see if there is any performance gains from just this when I get the correct one. It is considerably larger and looks like it could support twice the air flow, It is also much stronger feeling, just for the wrong engine...:(

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Banks 3" Boost Pipe

I finally got a chance to get the pipe powder coated. Unfortunately I had to settle on black coating to get it back in 4 hours or wait 3 weeks to get it done to match what is on the twins.

The pics pretty much say it all. I’m happy with how it turned out.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
hows it running?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Geez the money tree must be blossoming. Im glad the truck is running so well.

·
Resident Squid
1,710 Posts
Hey Mike,

Sorry to see that you were having problems with the boots. Let me know they next time you are up this way or you plan on going to the drag strip. I am iching to get mine back on the strip. Still trying to shoot for that 12.xx run!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.