Diesel Place banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but have never tackled a rearend gear swap............I want to put 4:10's in my new LMM........Should I pay the $700.00 to have it done, or is it worth the trouble to do it myself?:idea:

·
Banned
5,174 Posts
If thats 700 with the gears...HELL YES!!! If not its not that hard if you have the proper tools....The hardest part is setting backlash.

·
Registered
425 Posts
As getsome said... if that's $700 w/ gears... then you better jump on that. I was just quoted slightly less than $1400 for everything.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
If you have never set up a diff I would pay to have it done! Bad thing's can happen if you don't set up the ring and pinion correctly.

·
Registered
89 Posts
That is the going rate in So. Cal. (San Diego) for each diff. including the gears.

If you have 4x4, then you wil have to do both diff's.

When I was considering doing the same thing, I was consistently quoted ~$1,400 out the door for both.

Bill

·
Registered
412 Posts
how much do the gears run by them selves? any kits needed? shims? etc????????

·
Registered
425 Posts
The gears themselves run anywhere from $250-$450 depending on brand, and then you have master kits on top of that.

Labor is generally quoted around $250/axle.

·
Premium Member
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys for the info..............I had Off Road Unlimited in Burbank do my last truck........and it was around seven hundred for the rear axle. Looks like I will be paying the cash..................who needs the headache.......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts