Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought an 03 Chevy 2500HD crew cab and stumbled across this forum. You guys seem you like you really know your stuff. This is my first diesel and I've been surfing the web trying to learn as much as I can. I'm driving the truck from Anchorage down the ALCAN to Boise towing about 6,000lbs. I was wondering if anyone had any input on things to check for before the trip other than routine maintenance. Thanks

By the way, are there really that many problems with the injectors? I'm getting a little scared

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yes, there are problems with injectors, but IMO it's not a huge number compared to how many Dmaxs are on the road.

Diesel in BC might be a little more expensive than what you have been paying in Alaska. You might want to fill up before you hit the border.

Have a good trip!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Don't worry about the injectors just drive the truck and be happy.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Dont worry about the injectors. Just replace them every other oil change. :)

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Like mentioned above, the injector problem seems to be relativly small in comparison to the # of duramaxs....congrats...wish i could be a first time diesel owner already....

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Enjoy the drive and tell me how it is. I'm going up that way once the truck's fixed. A current rep of road status would be wonderful for my prep!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Spoolin Turbo, I've driven the ALCAN a couple of times and I suggest a full front end bra for your truck. I'm pretty sure there will still be large chunks of road torn up for construction. No matter how careful you are yo're bound to get some dings on your grill and hood. I noticed on my last trip that I had a few dings on my front doors from rocks flinging up from the front tires. Front mud flaps should fix that. Other than that, good luck. It's a beautiful drive, gets nicer the further north you go. Hate to leave but Idaho should be OK too.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I drove the alcan last summer during my military move. No real problems. Just make sure you are in good running order and have a good emergency kit (typical ak stuff). Sure wish I had my duramax for the move but non the less. Gas was expensive and road debris was not as bad as I expected. The worst was between Tok and Haynes junction. My wife lost cracked her windshield and the same truck threw a rock up and hit my wiper arm knocking it down a little and the plastic clip off that holds the washer tube on. The only other thing was it shook the perseys leak proof gasket bolts loose, or at lease it beat the snot out of it and loosened the bolts.

Pretty trivial stuff, I will be taking my duramax up there next summer for some halibut fishing and the whole pfd thing too. Wouldn't think twice about it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hey sleadhead I moved to Anchorage from Boise. You should like it there, it's a pretty decent place to live except that wages tend to be a little low. You still get four seasons but the winters are really mild and you will have to drive a ways to use your snowmachine.

When I drove the Alcan it was early April, and I hit quite a bit of snow. At times the visibility was barely beyond the hood. And the ice accumulation on my truck was crazy. The ice built up in the wheel wells so that I couldn't turn, and bottomed out on every bump. It even built up on the front of my trailer and rear of my truck so much that it jack knifed while trying to turn off the highway. And I broke my windshield and both headlights along the way. I had a case of bad luck though, my story isn't typical.

Don't worry about your injectors, just take care of your truck and arm yourself with some knowledge. I have encountered many Dmax owners and still haven't heard a first hand account of any problems. Good luck in Boise --SS

·
Registered
509 Posts
I've driven the ALCAN 6 times, twice before it was paved. Out of 6 trips I 've had one cracked windshield. My fault. Going through a road construction area I failed to pull over toward the right when a semi came by headed the other direction. You really don't need to prep any more for the ALCAN than you would for a similar length trip down south. It's just a road and you can find fuel and services within 50 miles of just about any spot on it.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
Well if you just bought the truck, then I would check every fluid level before leaving. Seems GM wasn't all that consciencious at the assembly plant. Oh, and don't fall for the "We checked everything out and it's fine." routine at the dealer. When I got mine I was low on diff fluid (front & rear). Check water, oil, trans, and brake fluid levels. Bring a spare fuel filter with you. And, don't forget to have fun...

JP

·
Registered
819 Posts
Get a strap wrench for the fuel filter plus an extention on a 3/8" ratchet or at least an adjustable wrench. Review the change procedure in the how to section here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info fellas. I bought the truck used so it's hard to tell how it was taken care of the first 17,000 miles. I'll be sure to get it dealer serviced prior to this trip. After that I'll do all my own maintenace

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just drove back up the ALCAN beginning of April with my 03 Chevy CC LT LB D/A 4x4, etc. Was towing a trailer. Only thing I forgot was the pea gravel that bounces off the trailer and back into the tailgate. Now will be taking to body shop. I've driven it many times but this was worst damage yet. My advice, put on bra, get a hood protector, put on some running board with flaps front and rear. If you're pulling a trailer with a flat front nose, put up some protection on the trailer and possible one of those full width broom things along your rear bumper. The road from Tok to Liard was the worst. Like JC says, gas isn't a problem other than the cost. Don't follow closely (I was very careful of this but still caught some chips in window). The truck ran perfect, don't forget to stop at Liard for the hot springs, it's a great break. Have Birth Certificates for all kids and don't forget handguns are illegal in Canada. Let me know if you'd like more info on the road.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts