Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 2006 2500 HD with an 8.1. The dealer recommended the first oil change at 2500 miles. That sounds a little high to me for a new motor. Does anyone have any recommendation when you should have the oil changed for the first time?

·
Registered
272 Posts
I did my 6.0 at 700 miles, and the oil came out looking good and clean. It was probably a waste of good oil, but I always like to change it out after the break in. Make sure you (or they) use the correct filter with the anti-drainback valve.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I did mine at 3,700 miles. The oil was darker than I expected but not horrible.

DEWFPO

·
Commissioner Gordon
5,139 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Mine has about 2000 miles on it. Bringing it to the dealer for the first oil change Friday. ( get free tires every 25K for life of truck if oil changed there) Would it be good to go ahead and get the rear end fluid changed also? Anything else?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm waiting till i hit 2,000. Sometime next week I'm going to take it in. Rear diff I'm getting drained also.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I did my axles at 1,100 miles after a long highway trip. They were both slightly underfilled imho, but the oil in the rear came out looking good; the front was another story. It was a really nasty looking mustard yellow color which on the 05 and older is dino. 06 and newer uses synthetic in the front. The rear has been snythetic for a few years. Not really sure if it was worth to drain the rear, but I would defintely at least have them top it off if nothing else. The GM oil for the rear is crazy expensive however, listing for like $27.50 per quart and it takes 4 quarts. I put Royal Purple 75W-90 front and rear and it appears to working well. The G80 Locker works great offroad, and it is smooth with no noise in the turns.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
X3
But I would also try to get a tow in there after the first 500 miles to help break-in the rear end, then at 1000 miles I would change all fluids; oil, trans & rear diff.
JP

1 - 10 of 10 Posts