Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer says to change oil after first 1000 miles. Is this accurate information. Along with that...I'm noticing alot of "my Brothers" are putting some miles on their outfits before using synthetic oil. Having never owned a diesel before, new or used, I have always used Mobil 1 from the first oil change. Some professional recommendation would be greatly appreciated as I am planning on using Mobil Delvac 1. Thanks to all.

Joe

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
I agree with changing it at 1000 miles to remove break in crud. Then I would change it again around 5k mark and switch to synthetic at that time. Also, dont forget your spin on trans filter at the 5k mark and start thinking about servicing your rear diff also

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eric,

Thank you sir. I have your Maint. schedule and will follow it religiously. Just to clarify... you are suggesting a change at 1000 miles with standard diesel oil like maybe Mobil 1300 and then switch to synthetic (leaning towards Delvac 1 ) at the 5000 mark. Thanks again for your dedication to us all.

Joe

·
Registered
121 Posts
just changed mine last week for the first time(2100 miles)had 2 long trips back to back so i couldn't do it earlier...

rangervx..have you check your rear diff?mine was 2 qts low from the factory!!!i caught it at 500 miles...hopefully no damage since it has been real cold??

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
toolman,

thanks for the tip...just ordered my outfit a couple of weeks ago...won't see it for a couple of months I'm guessing. rear diff should have been caught by the tech doing the PDI...= poor job.

·
Registered
121 Posts
yes pdi should catch it..but according to the pdi tech and the service magr,they aren't told to check them so they don't,even after i brought it to their attention(i had to ask them to check it twice before they would,i guess they thought i was joking)..and everyone wonders why more jobs are leaving for other countries,we americans no longer have any pride for ourselves to do a job right(even if its for nothing except some pride that you did it right)..whats it take to check 1?5 mins max..i was really astonished that they could really care a less,maybe that is why i will never buy another truck there!!

anyway check yours to make sure...

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I've heard the same thing about the PDI not requiring a check of the differential fluid levels.

The thing that p*ssed me off is that I made such a big deal out of getting them checked, I was told they were checked and okay. That turned out to be a lie since there was no paint missing from the plug and the rear end was about 1 1/4 inches below the fill hole. GM says it shoud be about 1/2 inch below that. Most folks fill them to the hole, but when they filled mine, it was only to the 1/2 inch low and they never told me how much it took.

The absolute worst part is the Service Manager insinuated I didn't know how to check the fluid level and that there was nothing wrong with them when I brought it back the next day after delivery, at that point I got VERY direct with him. Told him I felt like I was lied to and why, that worked out real well since it was him who told my salesman the levels were okay....

Needless to say I'm talking to other SM's at other dealerships, but the closest one is 30 miles away and the dealer I bought this from is less than a mile....

Oh well, live and learn....

·
Registered
8,443 Posts
Zeeb said:
I've heard the same thing about the PDI not requiring a check of the differential fluid levels.

The thing that p*ssed me off is that I made such a big deal out of getting them checked, I was told they were checked and okay. That turned out to be a lie since there was no paint missing from the plug and the rear end was about 1 1/4 inches below the fill hole. GM says it shoud be about 1/2 inch below that. Most folks fill them to the hole, but when they filled mine, it was only to the 1/2 inch low and they never told me how much it took.

The absolute worst part is the Service Manager insinuated I didn't know how to check the fluid level and that there was nothing wrong with them when I brought it back the next day after delivery, at that point I got VERY direct with him. Told him I felt like I was lied to and why, that worked out real well since it was him who told my salesman the levels were okay....

Needless to say I'm talking to other SM's at other dealerships, but the closest one is 30 miles away and the dealer I bought this from is less than a mile....

Oh well, live and learn....

Yet another reason I'd like to see a dealer listing on this forum. You lived, I want to learn.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
GM should NOT short the fluid levels. Call GM and ask for a refund on the syn oil.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts