Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to TTS Power Systems today to get a test version of their prototype towing tune for the LLY Duramax.

The owner, Steve Cole, was very friendly and informative. He showed me around his shop, then handed me the keys to his LLY shop truck with the tow tune in it. Very smooth and predictable engine output, and NO doubt that it runs harder than a stock LLY. Zero indication the truck is modified. No smoke, no surging, no noise.

I saw the dyno sheets he ran on it, and it is a 50rwhp tune. The gain is pretty much across the board.

So he pulled my PCM and uploaded the tune into it. All gauges work correctly, idles the same, sounds the same. I did some stoplight stomps, some freeway blasts, and there is no doubt there is more power. It appears the DIC fuel mileage might be more optimistic than before. I will fill up and measure actual mileage.

I am going to tow a large race trailer to Vegas and back, then check the output at my local dyno, and run it at the dragstrip in the next couple of weeks. I'll post results.

So far, so good.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Good deal, let us know how it turns out!! What did the shop truck run stock at the wheels if ya remember?

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looked like stock = 256rwhp, and after the tune, 306rwhp. (approx)

Feels like more. But what do I know? Runs sweet, I just killed an import who got the jump on me and tried to cut me off. It makes the truck easier to drive in traffic when you have more "umpph".

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some more thoughts:

This is an "Old Man's Tune". It feels like the stock motor exactly, except with more power everywhere. Even at light pedal settings, it accelerates harder, not "jumpy" though, just smooth.

I think this is the tune GM should have delivered the truck with. Not "hair on fire", but you don't have to take sh*t from SUV's either.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I drove Steve's white LLY truck about a month ago to check out his exhaust system. He had the Tow program installed at the time. Comparing it to my LB7 truck, the turbocharger spooled up almost instantly. The truck ran really strong.
And like you indicated, everything is like a stock truck, just stronger. When he gets around to releasing the product, it will be a good one.

By the way, did he still have the pressure gauge that was measuring the tranny line pressure sticking out of the hood and in front of windshield? That sure got me some stares while driving down the road.

But

·
Registered
199 Posts
McRat did he say anything about a possible release date?

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, no gauges sticking out. ;)

That white truck is quite the sleeper. I was barely pulled by a Mercedes SL500 from a stoplight during the test drive. It's deceptively quick because of how smooth the power comes on.

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Corsair said:
McRat did he say anything about a possible release date?

Since this is a "tow tune", he just needs to get a few trucks running it for a while before he releases it to the general public. IMO? It's sweet. Very OEM feel to it.

As far as a concrete date, he didn't say. I don't blame him for getting more input on it, but he didn't load a "Uh... Let's see if THIS works!" tune in my truck. It's a very refined tune.

I do my own (ls1edit) tuning on our Corvette, but it's "hair on fire" tuning. This isn't. It's a mature tune for guys who aren't trying to bust sh*t.

·
Registered
576 Posts
McRat thanks for the report! Please keep us updated :)

I plan on going with Steve for the Tune, Exhaust and tranny parts!

What do you plan to do if you need warranty work done?

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was thinking about buying a second PCM, just in case.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I will probably do the same.

To bad you can't put it back to stock but I understand why :)

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I hope this isn't the way all electronics wil be for the lly with replacement of the pcm?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Steve 'locks' the PCM to prevent piracy. he has mentioned that other popular programmers directly copied a tune program and sold it as their own. he mentioned he read the code on one programmer and it had "Copyrighted to XXXXX" written right in the code!

He doesn't want this to happen to his code.

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will admit, it's one of biggest worries. With the Camaro and Corvette, if I needed warranty work, I would remove the programming and re-install it afterwards.

If I blow up an engine or trans due to "hot-rodding", I would pay for it. But if there is a normal defective part, I expect GM to replace it. Like a power steering pump, an injector, etc. I've had friends who have had their engine warranty voided by just replacing the air filter, and I don't want to be the next victim.

But so far, it seems my dealer is cool. Our clutch stuck to the floor in the Vette, we admitted we race the car, but since it is a known defect they replaced it with a smile.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Thats pretty good service and thats the way it should be! A little honesty goes both ways!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Where can I get a new PCM for $400? Please inform me asap. I'm looking to get a reprogram done on a LLY but dont want to take my PCM out and have it gone for 2 weeks.

·
Registered
576 Posts
cAll steve at TTS. He rattled off the $400 price so it may not be real accurate.

Call and ask him.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the help.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts