Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When should I do it>??? I just passed the 1,000 mile mark. I used to change my gas motors around then. Is this to early for a diesel(this is my first). Go with synthetic or stick with non for now. I plan to run Rotella as that seems like a good and popular oil. If it is not a good choice please let me know. Thanks everyone, -Mat-

·
Registered
31 Posts
Changed mine @ 2k miles and the oil still seemed pretty clean coming out. I wouldn't change to syn oil until at least 10k miles. I changed mine with Shell Rotella 15-40 and Wix Filter. I bought three Wix filters from filter1.com and I think after I use those I will probably go back to AC - Delco. The oil pressure on the Wix filter seems higher than AC - Delco filter when cold starting the truck. It might be due to the Wix having six drain back holes ( not if it the correct term ) and the AC - Delco having eight.

If you wanna spend hours reading about oil and oil filters do a search for bob the oil guy.

Scott

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
i change it every 5K and use Rotella 15W40 dino oil. might start going with delo400 because i found a place that sells it dirt cheap.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Go ahead and change it as soon as you can. I did a 500 mile "break-in" oil change on mine to get the early wear products and casting sand out. Rotella-T is a very good oil. I've run a bunch of it in my 2001 with over 119,000 miles on it now.

·
Banned
1,840 Posts
Waited till just over 5,000 miles for mile. I wish i could have got my truck in earlier but plowing continually got in the way of appointments. My mechanic said the oil is completely synthetic and good to last 10,000 miles. He recomended i bring it in every 3,000 miles. I drive it pretty hard so im gonna go with 3,000 although normal users should go 5,000... And use Amsoil in that thing!!! Anyone who wishes to purchase any PM me and mention this post and get 20% off your purchase!!!

Regards,
-- Rick

·
Banned
1,390 Posts
I agree with Idle Chatter. Change it now and again in about 3000 more miles. Then you probably can switch to 5000 intervals. I've stuck with the 15w40 Rotella. Others are sold on synthetic. Personal choice... I would stay away from synthetic until about 10k though. Give it plenty of time to break in. Another very important thing is to change the trans spin on at your 1st or at most 2nd oil change. Don't forget to re-use the magnet. Also change your rear differential fluid by about 5000 miles. Lots of good advice in the maintenance section.
Other than that... Enjoy that truck!

Mike

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Put the "% of oil life" remaining in the guage then push and hold the same button on the right side of the steering wheel that zeros out the trip indicators.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts