Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the recommended mileage for the first front and rear diff fluid change? I have 7500 miles on my 05 GMC 4x4 CC SB SLT and have done nothing but change the oil once. This is my first diesel and I don't want to miss any early fluid changes. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Well, I changed mine at 500 miles...
Personally, I would get the fluid and change both differentials as soon as you can, there is a lot of shavings from the gears breaking in that fluid...

·
Registered
146 Posts
how full do you fill the diff? On my old '01 silverado it had to be filled to 5mm below the fill hole....(how do you know where that is???) is this the same thing with the HD or do you fill until fluid comes out? Thanks

·
Banned
1,390 Posts
Change the rear differential now. You'll probably only get 2 qts out but it takes 4 qts to fill level with the fill plug where it should be. I used GM 'grape juice' as was factory fill (underfill) and you can't go wrong with it, but lots of other opinions out there. Oh, and don't forget to change the Allison spin on filter too. See the maint. section for specifics.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I agree do the rear ASAP and the spin-on filter. You can remove the snotty oil in the front diff at your leisure as the front doesn't take a lot of load unless you use your 4x4 alot. JMHO-

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Here is mine:

Maintenance Intervals

Item Every (miles)
Injector Cleaner @ fill-up

Lube/Oil/Filter 7,500

Ally Spin-On Filter 7,500

Fuel Filter 10,000

Ally Fluid 25,000

Transfer Case Fluid 30,000

Front/Rear Diff Lube 35,000

Radiator Fluid 50,000

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
just pump it in there till it starts dripping out. let it sit there for a little bit till it stops dripping, clean it up and plug it.

this is assuming you're doing it on level ground.

·
Premium Member
14,363 Posts
I'm not trying to hijack the thread - but I have a question about the differential. My ZR2 S-10 rear dif has a drain plug. Does the G80?

Also, does the differential come from the factory with synthetic lube?

TIA!

·
Registered
368 Posts
I'm not trying to hijack the thread - but I have a question about the differential. My ZR2 S-10 rear dif has a drain plug. Does the G80?

TIA!
Yes, it has a drain plug and a fill plug. And, yes they come from the factory with synthetic lube. 75W-90

·
Registered
368 Posts

TIA!
Yes, it has a drain plug and a fill plug. And, yes they come from the factory with synthetic lube. 75W-90

·
Registered
368 Posts

TIA!

·
Registered
368 Posts

TIA!

·
Registered
368 Posts

TIA!

·
Registered
318 Posts
whoa, is there a echo in here? :anitoof:

·
Premium Member
14,363 Posts
WOW! I got the message!!!!!!):h :p: ):h :rolleyes:

·
Registered
146 Posts
i changed the front at 19000 wow should have changed it alot earlier ther was all kinds of junk coming out of it put syn back in

·
Registered
368 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,363 Posts
:funnypost

·
Registered
840 Posts
Changed my rear dif at 29K.Just got the truck slightly used last week.. 3 black qts came out.A little over 3.7 qts of Redline Heavy shockproof went back in.Gonna do front dif,transfer,tranny,and brake lines tomorrow.Already changed Engine oil/filter and fuel filter.Might as well start off trucks life with me as fresh as can be.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts