Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellas, I'm new to the forum and need some advice. I'm strongly considering taking the plunge and buying a diesel. I had planned on buying next year but recently discovered that I'm much better off tax-wise buying before January 1st. I hate to be rushed when buying a 40grand truck, but I'm considering doing the deal tomorrow for the tax advantages. Being a GM guy my first(and really my only choice) is a GMC 2500 HD duramax, crew cab, 4x4 with a 3.73 rear.

My first question is in regards to cruising at highway speeds. I have test driven this truck several times but always during periods of heavy traffic. I have yet to get one up to 70mph. I plan on using the truck for travel where I usually cruise at 80mph or so. Do these trucks like to cruise at high speeds like this or not. Will it be to noisy or tached up to high?

My second question is about the Duramax, I understand that they are changing or have already changed the head design on the engine. How do I tell if this particular truck has the new mods, and if it doesn't am I better off waiting a while for the redesigned engine?

Sorry for the long post from a first timer. Thanks in advance for the replies.

Zack.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Zack, welcome to the underground world!

at highway speeds, you wont hardly hear the engine run. cruises along nicely at around 1900-2100 rpm.

The new engine changes I dont think have reached the dealers yet, THe code for the new engine is LLY and the current is LB7, you can also check the VIN, 8th digit code 1 is LB7 and code 2 is LLY. Might be worth waiting for the new engine equipped trucks, but that also depends on your intentions for truck, gonna lease it and dump it in a few years, by current, wanna keep it till she rusts out, might wanna wait

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
dmaxalliTech,

I am interested in your last comment. I have read pretty much every thread in the forum here, and I believe this is the first time you've mentioned the added longevity of the LLY. I am pretty sure the beast I've ordered will be LLY, but I am also a little apprehensive about the EGR (only based on what I've read here). Any elaboration possible on your previous comment? Thanks!

Dennis

·
Registered
772 Posts
The Duramax seem perfectly happy to thunder along at 80 and returns pretty decent mileage at that speed. The engine sounds won't intrude. You can carry on a conversation, listen to the radio, or just watch the scenery whiz by.

Eric, is there something you're not telling us about the LB7? I'm planning on keeping it a long time. Am I kidding myself?

TC

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
I think it has to do w/ the fact that the injectors are outside of the valve covers so if u run it 100-300,000 miles and need injector work the LLY will be cheaper to repair after warranty runs out.

U may even be able to change injectors yourself which will save money.

·
Registered
26 Posts
1Gunner.....my truck sits right at 2100 rpms when doing 70 mph on the interstate. I would say that it is just as quiet as my 1/2 ton with the 5.3L was at the same speed. On my way to work this morning I ran it up to 80 mph and the engine ran nice and quiet at 2400 rpms.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts