Diesel Place banner

First big tow

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  PrivatePilot 
#1 · (Edited)
I just got back from a 5 day vacation to the black hills of south dakota. What a great trip. I have a 09 crew cab ltz all stock. I don't know why everyone gets a tuner. I was pulling my 07 32' hornet 5 wheel through the black hills and hardly knew it was there. Passed motor homes going up hill and still felt the d-max pull in the seat. What power. On the flats I just set the cruise and drove like normal. On the way back we had 30 to 40 mph side wind. I could tell it was back there from the wind but it had the power to still pull the hills. No problems what so ever. To anyone questioning the duramax, don't hesitate, great truck.

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
I don't know why everyone gets a tuner.
Because lots of people think that horsepower is the answer to everything, even problems they don't have to begin with.

The only reason I'd buy a tuner for something with plenty of horsepower to begin with is if it could increase my fuel milage and I understand that some tuners, while setup correctly, can do this...but it seems that most people have then simply to make obscene amounts of extra horsepower.

It's amusing for me to read about some of the 400-500 horsepower engines around here when I pull 60-80,000 Pounds daily with considerably less then that. ):h

Glad you had fun. I've never driven one but I hear the Duramax is a great engine. I'm still partial to my 6.5 because the payments are lower (goose egg!) and it's cheaper to work on then virtually all other diesels out there...and like yourself, it does what I need it to acceptably well. :)

#5 ·
13-14mpg towing with the tuner on.
What size trailer?

Quite a difference between the two...THAT could justify a tuner for me - I'm more interested in MPG then RWHP. :)

Are those hand calculated numbers averaged over a few tanks of towing, or short distance towing relying on the Fuel economy guess-o-meter display?

#4 ·
I've seen people on here wanting to know how to make 500-600 hp so they can tow a trailer better-waisted money if you ask me. These trucks come out of the factory ready to work. The only thing I would recommend is to help the motor breath better to lower EGT's. Glad you had a great time I've owned my truck since '07 and I've drug my travel trailer all over the east coast easily and without any problems

#7 · (Edited)
I don't know why everyone gets a tuner.
Some of us tow much bigger and heavier than a 32' TT.

There is no such thing as too much horsepower or torque.

#8 ·
There is no such thing as too much horsepower or torque.
If that were true every commercial trucking company out there would be specing the 600 horsepower range class 8 engines that are available.

I assure you, they're incredibly uncommon. Probably in excess of 80% of the commercial trucks you see on the road today are within the 375 to 475 HP range.

When I was pulling Ontario spec super B-Trains the company I was with spec'd 370 HP Detroits with 13 speeds and 3.70 rears and I would routinely gross in excess of 140,000 pounds. Torque comparisons aside (obviously a 12.7 liter is making more) the horsepower argument just doesn't hold water.

#9 ·
keep in mind tq and hp are relative....there most certainly such thing as too much hp and tq when the rest of the drive train can no longer handle it

#10 ·
600 hp to pull any trailer would be nice....until the turbo melted down and the tranny gives up. Spend the money towards stuff to get more MPG's and help the moter run cooler

#12 ·
all of our tandem heavys are spec'd atleast 550hp

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.