Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first diesel ever. It's an 82 6.2 from a 3/4 ton 2wheel and it's now in my 86 3/4 ton 4X4. It runs great but we don't know where to attach the tach to. Everything elso hooked up just fine. It has a 6in suspension lift so the speedo doesn't work so the only way I had to judge the speed was with the tach, plus I want to make sure I don't over rev it because I'm use to the rpm of a small block.

Just in case your wonding why......gas milage.

Thanks Big Pappa

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also it's bolted to a 350Turbo. So the next problem is a kickdown cable. It's my understanding that this motor came with a 400Turbo or a 700R4. Is the cable for the 700R4 the same size as a 350Turbo?

Big PappaEdited by: Big Pappa

·
Registered
124 Posts
You can run the diesel against the govenor for extended periods of time without damage, that's why it is there.

I think the tach gets connected to the alternator, not sure which stud though.

Not sure what cable you will need for a kick down either.

Hope somone else will chime in with those answers. We put TH350's behind a lot 6.2's, but I can't rememeber anything about the kickdown.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Big pappa,

I heard about a (complicated) way to connect the tach to the 6.2's ESS, or engine speed sensor . The Clevitekid (also active here on the forum) knows all the details on this. As far as I know there is no terminal on the alternator wich produces the signal you need.

Most common used tach's on 6.2's are the Autometer 2888 and the Isspro mini-tach, wich both require mounting sensors on the engine.

Daan

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have the TH400 in my truck, and the full throttle downshift is controlled by a switch under the accellerator pedal. When you mash the pedal the switch makes and the tranny downshifts.

·
Registered
389 Posts
the tach mounts to the alternator armature inside, you have to take it apart and install the sensor on the armature. it basicly counts the number of times the armature turns and then displays rpm from that.

john

02 3500 cc lb 4x4 lt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts