Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know which aftermarket "box" actaully reprograms the TCM for firmer / quicker shifts? Or do they just let the TCM learn the new increased torque levels and automatically firm up the shifts. I see in the Juice / Attitude instructions, that it has a way to override the defueling during shifts. Does the Quad, Six Gun, TTS, etc.... reprogram the tranmission shifts firmness, or remove the defueling during shifts, OR do they all just let the allison try to protect itself from the increased torque levels ?????

My '04 is bone stock, but I want to add a box which also firms up the shifts some. I hate having to guess if it shifted or not

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
There is no program that will firm up the shifts on the Allison to date. If you are going to play, you need a Transgo shift kit and a heavyduty torque converter. The trans should be addressed first. I have seen the C4 clutches burned on some of these units, and if that happens, you are buying a trans overhaul instead of just a shift kit.

mike

·
Registered
704 Posts
Mike L. said:
There is no program that will firm up the shifts on the Allison to date. If you are going to play, you need a Transgo shift kit and a heavyduty torque converter. The trans should be addressed first. I have seen the C4 clutches burned on some of these units, and if that happens, you are buying a trans overhaul instead of just a shift kit.

mike

Mike,

Do you think the TransGo will hold a Quad 215 with a little stacking, and 4WD launches, or do I need to go to a Stage IV or Stage V?

·
Registered
706 Posts
The Transgo and TC would try like hell to hold and it might for a little while but in the end you need a more comprehensive upgrade to the Allison. Transgo is a very capable setup w/ a good TC. But a 215 chip plus stacking is an insane amount of abuse.(especially with the drag launches) The inards of the Allison can't hold on to a near 100% increase in torque, even with the Transgo.

Mike.......did I miss anything?

·
Registered
152 Posts
In just a few months. After testing is complete. Bully dog will offer the power pup with the ability to change shift points. If you are just wanting up to a 95hp tune the power pup with bully dog's shift kit that runs$90.00 should firm them up. I have sold one and should here back soon how it has worked.

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
CYCLONE said:
In just a few months. After testing is complete. Bully dog will offer the power pup with the ability to change shift points. If you are just wanting up to a 95hp tune the power pup with bully dog's shift kit that runs$90.00 should firm them up. I have sold one and should here back soon how it has worked.

My pinkslip against your pinkslip it doesn't happen. Some people still believe in witches. Havent you learned anything here? Please do not post b/s here.

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
403turbo

Show me a comprehensive update that has not failed under extreme horsepower. The Transgo shift kit with a heavyduty converter will hold 95% of the Duramaxes out there. The other 5% are in limbo because the Allison was not designed to race. It's a wonderfull h/d trans for towing but not racing. I am aware of all the failures all the big guns have had with the Allison transmission. Just be glad you don't have a Ford 5R110.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
C1's would be the first to go with high boost launches if you only have a shift kit and TC.

Mike, you need a ride in my truck if you don't think the Allison is a good "racing transmission" for a heavy diesel truck.

·
Banned
328 Posts
Mike L. said:
I am aware of all the failures all the big guns have had with the Allison transmission. Just be glad you don't have a Ford 5R110.

Really?? Is this like the big guns up to say 500 rwhp where the transgo shines?

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Mnstr-fx,

Get a good quaility exaust system. You can hear all of the shifts and all of the TQ lock ups. It is also easier to hear any idle issues. Such as surging or fluctuations. The stock can is quite the silencer. At 500LBS. it should be. Just kidding about the 500 lbs. stock muffler. It is amazingly heavy though.

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
Quadzilla said:
Mike L. said:
I am aware of all the failures all the big guns have had with the Allison transmission. Just be glad you don't have a Ford 5R110.

Really?? Is this like the big guns up to say 500 rwhp where the transgo shines?

Quad

What are trying to say?

·
Banned
328 Posts
You said you have heard of all the failures of the "big guns." I was just curious how big the guns are, and curious how you know about "All" the failures?

Serious it is just funny to watch the internet gods at work.

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
Quad

I know a lot of transmission builders across the country very well. We talk and share information. We help each other. We gossip.

·
Banned
328 Posts
That is good. I have a couple of complete failures laying in my shop from 2 different big builders. I guess you know what failed in them as well?

·
Registered
152 Posts
CYCLONE said:

I know this is a little late now that you and quad are talking about racing. but i f you will read post before responding you will look a little smarter. I was talking about 95hp and below.Also the qestion was which programer changes shift points to firm up, and I was siply informing of a product that is comming soon. Why every post on a forum has to turn to a pissing contest between racers is beond me?

So as for the rest of you guys that are out to destroy? i guess you need to keep arguing with quad.

( not to defend him) but if you know anyone that has higher rwhp in public I for one would love to know. but 600+ is not for everyone.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Mike,

I love my Transgo. It is by far the best bang for the buck, I just don't want it getting a bad rep, so I would rather be conservative with my expectations and be pleasently supprised than be disappointed when I fry the allison with 500+ hp drag launches. Thats all, kinda like Edge, deliver at least as much as you claim, if not a little more.

Any setup will fail given enough abuse.

Quad whats with the chip on your shoulder? Looking for a fight?

Back to the topic, 500+ hp and drag launches, spend the bucks and build that puppy from TC to tailshaft.

I like Suncoast but any of the builders will make a good unit.

·
Banned
328 Posts
403turbo said:
Quad whats with the chip on your shoulder? Looking for a fight?

No problems here just trying to get my facts straight. Obviously Mike knows what he is doing I have no doubt about that. I think there are a lot of smart people and good advise on here, but there is a lot of BS too. I usually don't call people out, it is normally reversed.

What tickled me was the fact that someone knew of "all the failures all the big guns have had with the Allison transmission."

You don't find that odd? How about if I said I knew of all the problems that ever happened with any electronic horsepower enhancing device. Would you call me to the carpet? Yes
. I have no problem with any of the people that post here, they just need to think before they shoot their mouth off.

I didn't even get to the other BS posted by some because it is way off base. Even Mike and Steve will agree with that.

Just on a side note, I think the Transgo kit is a great way to help the Allison and it is reasonably priced.

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
Quad

I don't think it is odd that i know what trans problems the big builders are having. I try to help them when i can. When these guys start having problems (usually due to monster horse power) they contact a few of the brain trusts out there, Transgo being the most noted, and others whom i won't mention. We all talk and try to come up with different ideas to solve the problem. These answers benefit my shop and my customers so why wouldn't i help them? When i have had a problem, i have received phone calls from people i never met trying to help me. Maybe you don't have this kind of relationship out there in your field, but i do in the transmission field.

mike

·
Banned
328 Posts
I agree with you 100% about how people help each other in this industry. What I don't agree with is when someone takes a stance that they know everything.

All this started by poking fun that someone knew "EVERY" failure out there.

BTW, I haven't sent our failures back for various reasons.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts