Diesel Place banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another day another ... adventure. I was finishing my battery cable upgrade when I saw a plume of smoke coming from the driver's side wiring harness. There's a metal bracket that was designed to support the harness at that point and evidently there's finally been enough rubbing to wear through the insulation.

I think I can already attribute a few electrical quirks to the resulting damage. In order to fully assess I need to open up the harness at that point. There is very little room to move. I think it would be easier if I disconnected the firewall pass throughs.

Would anyone be able to comment as to how or if the white and black plugs in the photo come apart?
Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design

Attachments

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
The black cover will slide off when the tab is released.
Then there is a HEX or TORX bolt in the center that holds the connector on.
The other is a pass-thru and cannot be removed, it stays with the dash harness.

Reactions: 56pan

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wonderful. Thanks Glagulator. Removing the plug allowed me to investigate the damage. I'm pretty sure this explains a few things currently not working:
Motor vehicle Light Automotive exterior Automotive design Gas

I'm getting good at electrical repairs but there's not much room to move in there. Perhaps time for an auto electrician to take over.

·
Administrator
21,767 Posts
Wonderful. Thanks Glagulator. Removing the plug allowed me to investigate the damage. I'm pretty sure this explains a few things currently not working: View attachment 651001
I'm getting good at electrical repairs but there's not much room to move in there. Perhaps time for an auto electrician to take over.
Nice find (y)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts