Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had this happen just the other day, and this explains exactly what I also saw a hand grenade like explosion.

Engr. Bill

Firestone Tires Under Fire Again

Feb. 6, 2004

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=181 align=left>
<T>
<TR>
<TD class=small vAlign=top width=175>

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0>
<T>
<TR>
<TD>Steeltex Tires Under Fire</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

(Photo: AP)

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0>
<T>
<TR>
<TD>

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width=175>
<T>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top bgColor=#999999>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=173 bgColor=#dddddd>
<T>
<TR>
<TD class=small vAlign=top width=173>The following are investigative stories by CBS News Correspondent Sharyl Attkisson on Firestone's tire recall and continuing complaints:

<LI>Firestone Steeltex Tires Under Fire
<LI>Firestone Putting Rescue Rigs At Risk?
<LI>Firestone Probe May Be Reopened
<LI>New Worries For Firestone
<LI>Call For Explorer Ban
<LI>Firestone In Tire Talks
<LI>The Casualty Count
<LI>Courting Firestone
<LI>Tire Victim: Apology Seemed Sincere
<LI><A href="http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2001/01/03/eveningnews/main261266.

·
Registered
353 Posts
When I bought my truck it had Firestones on it. I told the dealer that they were a deal breaker. I REFUSED to ever have firestone!

After all they were a Ford tire for how many years??

They are pure and simple junk. They put me a set of Bridgestones on right then. I know they are not much better and also under the firestone banner but it was enough for me to get the truck until I got the Maxxis tires.

Does firestone have anything to do with injectors? Are they part of Bosch? hmmmmm

MikeEdited by: Lonewolf867

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
My truck came with the steeltex. They were shot at 17K. I attribute this to improper air pressure, poor quality factory shocks and also poor quality tires. The most interesting things I noticed apon removal of the steeltex was that several of the tread blocks could be lifted from the carcass and were only attached by a small section of rubber. The belts were exsposed by only lifting up on the tread block. 3-4 blocks on each tire were like this. I also noticed several small swells in the side walls. Let's just say I sleep alot better at night with new shocks, 65PSI at all 4 corners and a high quality tire like the Revo. Edited by: Bronco

·
Registered
600 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I wasn't aware there were still problems. Perhaps there aren't, but I'll be alert for any additional news.

In the mean time, what are my options for different brand tires IN THE STOCK SIZE. I know many folks like to change to larger tires but I would like load range E tires in the stock size, and I'd appreciate any suggestions. I just might have to go buy new tires and let these Firestones sit in the garage. Hmmm. More money.

Jim

·
Registered
812 Posts
I've been running the 'Stones with no problems, I may be a little anal with the tire pressure, I check them all the time. Surprisingly, the dealer sold me the truck and the tires were inflated to 45psi all the way around. I run the Steel-Tex during the cold and snow and the RS4 II the rest of the year. So far these have been one tough tire considering how many curbs driven over construction site visits that have been made.Edited by: aketay

·
Registered
403 Posts
simply said...... they suck.....

2 blow outs on their steeltex brand

·
Registered
212 Posts
My friend and I both have 2002 Dmax CC SWB trucks. His is a 4X4 with steeltex's, and mine is a 2WD with the factory Bridgestones. Both are OEM tires and made by Bridgestone/firestone tire of Japan. His tires wore completely out at 21K miles, and my bridgstones are still going strong with lots of tread left at 32K miles. He did not have adnormal tread wear... all four tires wore evenly across the width of the tire. I just think that the firestone steeltex's are junk compared to the OEM bridgestones.

·
Registered
958 Posts
FWIW, I have my OEM Firestone Steeltex A/T's on the PYO wheels that came with my pickup, now mounted to my 1ton cargo van. I've got almost 30k miles on them now with very minimal tread wear, and no problems to report. They perform decently for me on the pavement in all conditions, including icy roads and compact snow. I run them at 80psi and frankly, I expected them to be at least half worn out by now but they're still almost like new.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ok I really dont get this! I have run firestone Steeltex on my trucks for the past 3 years. I own a landscape company and carry a trailer everyday in the summer and do snow removal in the winter! I had 77,000 miles on my last set and only rotated them 1 time! I have them on the other truck doing great also! No abnormal wear great traction and good handling. I guess to each their own. just my .02.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
I got 48,000 miles out of my OEM Steeltex. I had the right rear get stone punctured, put it in spare and had the spare mounted on my PYO rim. After 7,000 miles, that tire from spare went flat without warning on the interstate in Florida. Put the plugged original in spare on and made the rest of the return run to the Northeast. When I took the flat tire to be serviced, it had no puncture, but blistered-up in four places on the sidewall. I took it to a Firestone retailer and they warranty replaced the defective tire at zero charge. I now have Dunlop Radial Rovers on all four corners, but the brand-new warranty Steeltex is my spare.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I had a blowout on one of my my steeltex tires at 27,000 miles. I will never own another Firestone tire. Too may (coincidences) of blowouts.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I just turned 36K on original Firepops, they are starting to look a little worn, maybe another 5-6K. I bought another set of Firepops off an '03 to put on my truck when I can't stand to look at these stock ones anymore. Probably change them out regardless in another month or so, have a tow coming up and want my best Firepops on the ground LOL

Boy I hope I don't regret keeping the Firepops.....but so far they have worn great and no problems......gotta get that spare out and look at it now that you mention it.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I have the Bridgestones, and at 26K they still show no sign of wear. 55lbs. pressure, when towing 75lbs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well folks this topic got my attention. Had a blow out with steeltex on my 2000 2500 at 15K on the right rear, it destroyed the right rear fender/body panel, damaged the tailgate, ripped molding off the cab, $3000 later and the truck was fixed, put on a set of Michlins at the first opportunity. Picked up my 03 duramax last Sept and ripped off the steeltex and installed Michlins at first opportunity. Will never own another Firestone........

·
Registered
713 Posts
I too have strong feelings about where the rubber meets the road...

When I went to pick up my truck, actually they came and got me from the eastern shore of MD, I noticed the Firepoops on the soon to be mine truck. I asked politely if they would change them, I was told by the sales mgr, no. I turned on my heel, went to my salesman, and asked him for the papers I was about to sign. He is a long time friend and straight shooter. He gave them to me, I went backt to the sales mgr with papers in hand, and again asked him to change the tires please. He said no. I said ok, showed him the paperwork, and started, one page at a time to rip it up. He got an odd look, I turned from him and kept walking, all the time tearing little strips of paper off the pile of stuff I was given, dropping them on the floor of the showroom as I went. He followed, picking them up. Many eyes were upon us, by the time I reached my pal Phil, who was doing a deal with another customer. I picked up my briefcase, tags and hat from his desk, and still tearing, said how sorry I was, and would he be so kind as to have the guy who brought me down, 1 1/2 hours, drive me back? He asked what the problem was, my one word reply "Firestones". I kept tearing the whole time, little strips, looked like ticker tape. More and more folks watching, all the time.

One hour later, Bridgestones on truck, me happy, sales mgr, still baffled, even after showing him picture of my 2 sons. It's not worth it to jeopordize my family, on unsafe tires. If firepoop had been straight up about it, they would still be in the running, but denials, lies, and deceit were the SOP for them.

Never, not even in a rental, will I put my life or the lives of those I love on those piec of sh*t bananna skins.

Do Not accept substandard goods, or substandard service. Be polite, but be firm. Always!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts