Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
But not OUR tires. These are load range D. Let's hope they recall ours too.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Not for premature wear?
Mine were tossed away at 6,000 miles.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Oh, but for a change in one tiny number....

TC

·
Registered
795 Posts
hm........sorta coincides with my experience with the original Firestone tires on my 02 EC HD. I had a blowout last fall at 27,000 miles. Sidewall blew apart.

I will never have a Firestone tire again

·
Registered
958 Posts
I've been running the Steeltex A/T's for about 4 or 5 months now on my cargo van and previously thought they performed well in the rain/snow and wore like iron.. Well, not so anymore. My fronts are lasting great but the rears are wearing excessively fast, the drive tire is almost at the wear bar already (about 60,000km's or 40,000 miles) and the drivers side rear is not far behind it. The fronts are only about half worn.. I should have rotated them long ago but wasn't keeping an eye on them and didn't expect the drive tire to wear this fast. It's all highway miles with not much stop and go, and I'm not a lead foot by any means. They've also began to completely suck on wet roads for the past month or so, and while they handled well in snow the drive tire got next to no bite whatsoever.

OTOH I've had no blowouts despite hitting more than a few HUGE potholes at 60+mph, the kind that make you expect to have a bent rim, flat tire or trashed suspension/steering pieces.

POS's, my Michelins were still over 2/3 tread left at this point. I can't wait to take them off and put some Michelins on again.

·
Registered
227 Posts
You'll be ok. Firestones on a GM won't cause problems. But on a Ferd they call them Gravestones!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Most of these tire problems are from people not having enough AIR in them. These big tires need a minimum of 45PSI in them.
If I run any lower PSI then 55 my tires look low. But then my truck weighs around 9000 lbs.

·
Registered
410 Posts
this is pertinent knowlege..thanx for posting, we will be watching doesnt give you the warm and fuzzies for what we're riding on does it?
Edited by: bob camire

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I too have noticed that my rear's are wearing much quicker than my fronts. I've been a bad boy by never rotating in 21,000+ miles, but this has got to be the first time I've ever seen rears wear out quicker than steer's. I do some occasional heavy hauling, but maybe 10% of the time. Front's are at 60, rears at 75 all the time.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I also had problems with the tires not only showing excessive wear, but also some chunks or the tread were missing and some were coming loose with only 35,000 miles on them! Needless to say I will never have Firestone tires again.

·
Registered
444 Posts
All the accelerated rear tire wear problems are because there is way too much air in the tires. The door sticker stated 80 lbs for the rear... That's with a full load.

When I first bought the truck, I too noticed tire wear after 5000 miles.

I lowered the rear to 55 lbs when empty and rotated the tires front to back.

The wear is not noticable anymore. I have 17000 miles on the truck and the tires look like they can go at least another 20 K.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The skinny on this situation:

Frank M. Ligon
Director
Service Engineering Operations
Ford Customer Service Division

Ford Motor Company
P.O. Box 1904
Dearborn, Michigan 48121

February 2004

TO: All U.S. Ford and Lincoln Mercury Dealers

SUBJECT: Customer Satisfaction Program 04B14:
Firestone Tire Safety Campaign Certain 2000 through 2003 Excursion Vehicles Equipped with Firestone Steeltex Radial A/T LT265/75R16 LR D OWL and BSW Tires
Tire Inspection and Replacement

PROGRAM TERMS

This program will be in effect until September 30, 2004 regardless of mileage.

AFFECTED TIRES AND VEHICLES

Bridgestone/Firestone North American Tire, LLC (Firestone) recently announced a voluntary safety campaign of Firestone Steeltex Radial A/T LT265/75R16 LR D Out-lined White Letters (OWL) and Black Side Wall (BSW) tires. These tires were available as standard or optional equipment on certain 2000 through 2003 Excursion vehicles produced at Louisville Assembly Plant from March 24, 1999 through February 13, 2003.

REASON FOR THIS PROGRAM

Firestone has determined that certain Steeltex Radial A/T LT265/75R16 LR D OWL and BSW tires may experience rapid air loss, especially when operated below recommended inflation pressures and above recommended loads or at excessive speeds. Such rapid air loss can lead to a loss of control of the vehicle and a possible crash.

IMPORTANT FACTS

This is a Firestone safety campaign. Ford has assigned a "B" program number merely for administrative purposes to allow Ford and Lincoln Mercury Dealers to assist Firestone in the replacement of affected tires.
Firestone will notify customers of their safety campaign via first class mail beginning the week of March 8, 2004.
All Firestone Steeltex Radial A/T LT265/75R16 LR D OWL and BSW tires are involved and must be replaced (Attachment III).
Firestone Steeltex tires that do not meet the specific criteria outlined in Attachment III ARE NOT involved in this program.
This program affects approximately 80,000 vehicles.
Ford and Lincoln Mercury AtW/Ford Tire Program dealers will be authorized to replace tires under this program.
The owner letter will direct customers to return their vehicle to their dealer to have the wheel lug nuts re-tightened at 500 miles (800km) after tire replacement. This is required to permit the wheel clamping system to seat correctly so that the wheel lug nuts will hold a uniform clamp load and remain fully tightened. To cover this service, an additional labor operation has been provided with claiming instructions (Attachment II).
Tires removed from vehicles must immediately be rendered unusable (Attachment III).
A National Tire Recovery & Recycle Program will be announced at a later date.
Customers will be given the option of having their vehicle serviced at a Ford or Lincoln Mercury dealer or at any authorized participating Firestone retailer.
SERVICE ACTION

At no charge to the vehicle owner, dealers are to inspect all five tires and replace as outlined in Attachments I and III, render the removed tires unusable, remove the Tire Pressure Warning label, (if equipped - not all vehicles have this label installed) and re-torque the wheel lug nuts (500 miles (800km) after service) on the affected vehicles. All in-stock vehicles must be repaired prior to delivery.

Special Notes:

The Owners Guide and Work Shop Manual recommends that each wheel removed and reinstalled must have the wheel lug nuts re-tightened at 500 miles (800km) after service.
Dealers should encourage customers to return to the dealership to have the wheel lug nuts re-tightened after 500 miles (800km) of tire service.
Affected tires were also installed as spare tires and must also be inspected, and replaced if necessary.

FORD APPROVED TIRE REPLACEMENT LIST
Only the following tires are approved for use under this program:
Tire Description Vehicle
Application Part Number Size
P

·
Registered
192 Posts
Victory Red said:
I too have noticed that my rear's are wearing much quicker than my fronts. I've been a bad boy by never rotating in 21,000+ miles, but this has got to be the first time I've ever seen rears wear out quicker than steer's. I do some occasional heavy hauling, but maybe 10% of the time. Front's are at 60, rears at 75 all the time.

Rears wear out quicker maybe because of heavy foot?? I know mine do.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts