Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the firestone bags. I'm looking to purchase kit 2806 which comes with the wireless fill. Putting it on my newly purchased Denali 3500 with a 4" Zone lift.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Firestone Airbags on the rear:thumb:

10 years on my GMC (in signature) electric Airlift Controller 2 & single manual fill to both airbags.
On a pick-up truck where the weight is equally distributed on the ball mount or 5th wheel hitch center of the truck, separate fill is not necessary.

22 1/2 years on my 34' class A Motor Home with Firestone electric dual controller for the left and right with separate manual fill.

Now on a Motor Home/RV where weight is pretty much impossible to be distributed equally, this is where separate fill is pretty much necessary.

All of the Airbag companies will tell you this.

·
Premium Member
14,363 Posts
I've had both Firestone and AirLift bags. If I ever need to buy another set, they will be AirLift. Cheaper yet better designed.

·
Registered
174 Posts
REGARDING THE INITIAL QUESTION:

First of all, I do not know what a "Zone Lift" is ( or, for that matter, why anyone would want their truck higher than stock. My puzzlement arises from the fact that most trucks I have seen have differential "pumpkins" in the center of their axles. Those big bulges hang down, leaving only a few inches of clearance between the bottom of the differential case, and the ground. So no matter how high you mount the truck's body and chassis, unless you have some way of eliminating the bulge of the differential, you havnt gained ANYTHING in the way of rough road clearance.

As I noted elsewhere - seems like I am not the only one who is not happy with the absurd overly dramatic "forward rake" of a bone stock 3500.

I suspect I am typical of many owner/operators - I only tow trailers weighing in the 10-15,000 lb range...with a 1,000 to 1,500 lb. "bumper-hitch" tongue load, and, on occasion, do use the truck as a back-up passenger car.

Given the above, I suggest rear air bags are an ideal solution. Gives you all the load capacity you could ever need, coupled with a much smoother ride.

I am assuming, without knowing for certain, that the FIRESTONE and AIR LIFT systems are similar. Either permits us to remove a leaf from the rear suspension, making the truck ride ALMOST level when empty, and completely level when loaded .

By running maybe 10-15 lbs air pressure in the air bags, they serve as a cushion, giving the truck a much smoother, more controllable, safer ride.

The air bags restore any load-carrying capacity lost by removing a rear spring leaf.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
One reason we like to level our trucks is
Either looking like a Man's truck
Even rides level when hauling, with the airbags.
yy

I can't for the life of me would want the a funny car/truck look, even at 65.

There 6686L, you have it first hand as to why we want to level/lift, also I don't have to worry about going off road, camping damaging scraping underneath the front.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I lift cause I like the look.... I pull a dump trailer with an occasional skid steer loaded up.... roughly 15k total. The bags eliminate the sag and improve ride quality. Bottom line..... to each their own with what we do to our rigs...

Attachments

·
Registered
938 Posts
REGARDING THE INITIAL QUESTION:

First of all, I do not know what a "Zone Lift" is ( or, for that matter, why anyone would want their truck higher than stock. My puzzlement arises from the fact that most trucks I have seen have differential "pumpkins" in the center of their axles. Those big bulges hang down, leaving only a few inches of clearance between the bottom of the differential case, and the ground. So no matter how high you mount the truck's body and chassis, unless you have some way of eliminating the bulge of the differential, you havnt gained ANYTHING in the way of rough road clearance.

As I noted elsewhere - seems like I am not the only one who is not happy with the absurd overly dramatic "forward rake" of a bone stock 3500.

I suspect I am typical of many owner/operators - I only tow trailers weighing in the 10-15,000 lb range...with a 1,000 to 1,500 lb. "bumper-hitch" tongue load, and, on occasion, do use the truck as a back-up passenger car.

Given the above, I suggest rear air bags are an ideal solution. Gives you all the load capacity you could ever need, coupled with a much smoother ride.

I am assuming, without knowing for certain, that the FIRESTONE and AIR LIFT systems are similar. Either permits us to remove a leaf from the rear suspension, making the truck ride ALMOST level when empty, and completely level when loaded .

By running maybe 10-15 lbs air pressure in the air bags, they serve as a cushion, giving the truck a much smoother, more controllable, safer ride.

The air bags restore any load-carrying capacity lost by removing a rear spring leaf.
Don't know why you focus so much on why the OP lifted his truck, or why clearance between the diff & ground are an issue. The OP was just giving a description of his rig for anyone willing to assist with info on what he wants to do with airbags. FWIW, additional clearance between the diff and ground can be achieved with larger tires, which is what most do when they lift their vehicles.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Oh, forgot to add that I run the Air Ride 5000 bags with 15psi while pulling my 5th wheel. Trailer sits a tad nose-high, but truck remains nice & level. Manual valves to each bag. Works just fine for me.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Not sure why some of you are getting defensive - I "get it" - some of you guys like the looks of a truck riding higher than stock, and as such, are willing to assume what is involved to modify your front suspension. Should have just stated that at first. Yes, I agree - each to his own.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Most of us level/lift guys go with taller tires, this gives more clearance for the differential.
Example: My tires are about 3 1/2” taller than stock.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
I had the Firestone bags on my 2007.5 and had zero issues. Plan on putting a set on my 2017. I see a new 5th wheel in my future. For the price you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
114 Posts
With or without a lift the airbags will help to support the load and in our case, with a bunch of tongue weight (16k# 5th wheel) actually ride better. I assume this is from leveling out things and restoring the steering geometry. For trucks in the past I've used FS bags but nothing wrong with the AR's. The new truck will get separate bag filling but it is truly not needed, my others have been ran thru a "T" to allow both bags to fill the same.
You'll just have to play with how much air for what you are towing & +/- 5-10# when empty

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Without bags towing the driveshaft is not aligned, you could have a slight clunk, the front could float around a bit.
With bags your bringing the rear back up close to stock and transferring some weight back to the front, driveline back towards a closer alignment.

I should have taken a picture of mine yesterday when I hooked up with having 2700-3000 lbs pin weight without the bags aired up and with air, but I didn’t think about it, besides it was hot outside.

I did measure hooked up with 60psi in my bags.
Stock my front is about 1/2” lower than the rear before I hook up.
Hooked up with 60 lbs in my FS bags the front was about 5/8” higher, than the rears.
Without bags if I remember correctly there was about 3” difference front to rear, rear being 3” lower than the front.
Airbags is the smarter way if you tow, and you will not loose the ride when empty, like you would with leaf spring modifications.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I use Air Lift air bags. This is my second truck with them.
When towing the tongue weight is 1,300 LBS., and there's about 1,000 LBS of cargo in the bed. The truck remains level, but the rear can be bouncy at times.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
What air pressure are you running in your bags when towing ?
Usually when it’s a little bouncy in the rear, the psi is a little low even with a trailer.

·
Registered
124 Posts
What air pressure are you running in your bags when towing ?
Usually when it’s a little bouncy in the rear, the psi is a little low even with a trailer.
12-15 LBS with a trailer and load; 7-8 LBS without a trailer and an empty bed.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
I’d suggest bump up the psi a little at a time when loaded.
Maybe start at 25 then go from there, until your satisfied.
My car hauler had about the same tongue weight I ran about 50 psi.
I’m looking for ride stability better front steering control over being level.

No less than 5psi is recommended when empty not only for the rides sake, so if 7-8 is good for you, then stay at those settings.
For anyone questioning the minimum, it’s because air has moisture which will help bags longevity, less chance of them cracking inside out.

I’ve mentioned this before, I have the AirLift Load Controller II which has a 5 psi solenoid in-line so it will always maintain no lower than 5psi.
Unless a leak shows up, then the air pump will just continually run until you pull the fuse, then fix the leak.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts