Diesel Place banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last thing to do before I finally am done-done with the cabin inside is to figure out something for a hearth for the fireplace. Due to not thinking ahead, I kinda painted myself into a corner with this. I should raised the fireplace up a couple inches off the level of the hearth to accommodate the thickness of the hearth stones I wanted to use, but I didnt think about it till it was WAAAYYY too late.

So I need something pretty thin, pretty strong and something that fit the motif of the cabin (polished marble probably wouldn't look too good in this case). The hearth has been left unfinished for a year now as I mull over the options. Then one day while knobbing around at Menards, I came across these outdoor porcelain tiles:

They look a lot like sandstone, and have a nice texture to them. They are 24x24 x 3/4" and heavy as hell. They feel like they'd stop a bullet. They were on sale and cheap. Like $7 a piece. I needed 4, I bought 6, just in case. I had to rip them down to about 14" wide to fit the hearth with the right amount of overhang. I wore out my little tile saw cutting the first 3. That left 2 angled pieces for the ends. I manage to get the one cut, but my saw blade gave up the ghost halfway through the last cut and broke. I'll have to get another one just to finish up, but so far its looking good.

I thought I had a picture of all the pieces washed and put in place, but I guess I didn't take one. All I have is one where I fitted them together. They are still dirty from the wet-saw, but you can see how nice they compliment the color in the fireplace rock. The rock on the wall was left just set in place and not attached. I will cut it down to size and glue it down after the hearth stones are finally set. I think I'm gonna get it done this weekend and I'll get pics of it all nice and pretty.

Tim

Attachments

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Looks good.

However .....

The professional contractor within me must point out that you have made a major, major mistake here:

This phrase: "I finally am done-done with the cabin"

This is foolish, potentially dangerous and you should know better!

:D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts