Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What is a Fingers boost stick? It is a small electronic device designed by 'Fingers' that plugs into series with your MAP sensor. It alters the signal and the end result is more boost. I will call it a BS from here on (boost stick).

I am lucky enough to be a beta tester for the Fingers BS. I received it today and installed it and now have driven about 50 miles with it. I thought I would share (tease) my first impressions.

First, it is a real bCensored h to get that BS plug on the sensor. I ended up using one of those spring loaded claws that you push a button on the end and the claws open up. I put that on the clip and I was able to get it started enough that I could push it on with a screw driver. I definitely wish I had an extension so I could change it on the fly for dyno purposes etc. I will probably cut the wires and add a weatherpac plug which will give me the same result in the end. Other then that it went pretty smooth. Fingers says he will be able to provide an extension harness. I rushed him to get it on fedex so it is my fault he didn't get me the harness. Following is quote from fingers on how where the MAP is located and how you get to it:
The MAP is in a bad place. Front driver side of engine, down on the driver's half of the intake manifold. You can make out the connector if you take off the intake resonator and look straight down past the water outlet pipe. It is reasonably easy to get off with a long screwdriver, but you have to work the harness side of the connector out where you can get to it to hook up the boost stick. The coat hanger comes in handy here
The first thing I noticed is a little quirk that is a side effect of more boost. When I get up to speed and set the cruise at say 65mph I can hear the turbo pitch constantly change. Almost like a cricket but higher pitch. I'll have to test it a bit more to see if it is there at all speeds etc. It might get to be a bit annoying but time will tell. It seems to be the worst around 8psi. Here is a quote from fingers that explains why I am hearing this:
The variation in turbo noise is normal. It is actually doing that all the time w/o the BS. It is just louder now. I spent a fair amount of time watching the stock response before starting this project. To use a controls term, the ECM is "hunting" trying to maintain a prescribed boost. That is, it is constantly overshooting and undershooting its target. 5-8 PSI seems to be the noisiest PSI range for some reason.
Second thing I noticed was more boost! The PPE hot xcellerator (stacked with the VA) is really lacking boost IMO. I have a 60psi guage so normally at cruising speed there is no measurable boost according to the guage. This translates to under 5psi. I guess it is around 3-4psi before the BS. Now at cruising speed I see around 8psi or so. This I like to see. This will hopefully help fuel mileage. It can't hurt. EGT's seem to be a bit lower at cruising but it is hard to be certain without having a switch in the cab to turn the BS on or off.

At WOT I see right around 30psi but pulling through 5th gear I see around 34 psi.

Third things I noticed is WAY less smoke. It doesn't completely clean up the smoke but it definitely cuts it in half or more. It is no longer black it is now grey and dissipates a lot faster. This is a good thing as I was way over fueled.

I can't feel a difference in the old seat of the pants meter in 1st through 4th gear with 30psi boost. I didn't really expect too. Time will tell when I dyno it and get to the track. In 5th gear I can feel a noticible difference when it hits 35psi. IMO it pulls much harder then it did before.

This is all I have for now. I will keep everyone updated as I notice more things.

This is posted with Fingers permission.

·
Premium Member
20,556 Posts
AWESOME!!!! Thanks a lot for that teaser, Max!!! I look forward to reading any other impressions you have later on... Any idea when beta testing will be complete and it will be for sale? I assume since it basically just fools the MAP sensor, that I wont actually see the boost increase on my Edge Attitude (becuase that gets boost data from the ECM) correct?? Im actually looking forward to the louder turbo-whine. Thats interesting that 5-8 PSI seems to be the loudest with the BS. Right now mine seems to be the "shrillest" and noisiest around 11-12 PSI (according to the Edge). Although my Edge is the old LLY version 1.0 so I see 29-30 PSI of boost at WOT anyway...Should I really update my Edge to 1.2? Why would I want an update that would return my boost cap to the stock ~22 PSI!??!

---Ben

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I am going to assume a few things. I will assume that as long as the beta testers give fingers the feedback he needs and no problems arise, you will see BS sticks for sale within a couple weeks. Fingers has proven himself to be a real go getter and not one to sit around on his hands. You rarely see things move this fast and yet get tested so well at the same time.

·
Registered
592 Posts
thank you very much for the info maxpower and thank you for the time your taking with this fingers i can't wait to try this myself

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
Thanks!

·
Banned
1,214 Posts
anyone trying this with a predator? ( i need more boost)

·
Registered
371 Posts
Less smoke sounds good to me. Pred at 6500 ft. way too much smoke.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
What does the boost stick do in off idle conditions, Max?

In other words, does it cause more boost coming off the line?

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Turbo max and 8shot,
You may or may not benefit from a BS. See what Fingers had to say about it Here

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
The current Predator tunes do well with the BS since those tunes don't increase boost. The upcoming revision of the Predator does increase boost as part of the tune and the BS does not make much of an mprovement with these new releases.

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What does the boost stick do in off idle conditions, Max?

In other words, does it cause more boost coming off the line?
It increases boost all around as far as I can see. I see boost on my gauge with my PTO high idle. I didn't before.

It definately boosts more right of idle. It is much harder to blip the throttle and get smoke.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
A downside is that most tunes, including stock, wait for a prescribed boost before fueling. Since the precieved boost is lower, the fueling comes in a fraction later when accelerating from idle. When it does come in though, it kicks fairly hard. Kinda fun. :)

If you are already off idle it is nearly a non issue. You will already be carrying more boost and the response should be the same, if not better.

Remember, smoke is power and fuel going out the tailpipe.

I keep getting suggestions to add a "smoke" switch to the BS.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Fingers said:
Remember, smoke is power and fuel going out the tailpipe.
Amen to that... I love smoke as much as the next guy, but it's just showing an improper tune (air fuel ratio), and therefore a waste of potential power / fuel mileage.

·
Registered
11,645 Posts
A side note, regarding the install. Take a few minutes and pull the a/c compressor loose. Just remove the belt, two wire connectors and four bolts and its out of the way. Access to the MAP is much easier now.

Looks like Jon did it again....another contributer to making these things work so much better!

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Eric, I am not so sure that moving the A/C compressor would have helped. It don't recall it being in the way. It's the wire harness and water pipe that are really in the way.

·
Registered
11,645 Posts
Hmm. Seems I pull that out of the way when installing co-pilots and tapping the MAP wire... I dunno, I would have to look at it again.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Eric is right. Unbolting the AC compressor allows much better access to the connector from the front of the engine. I wasn't that smart.

·
Registered
501 Posts
That connector is a b**** to work with.

The connector on the boost sensor is on a pigtail of wire about 4" long. It connects to the engine harness at a much more accessible position. Will the BS be able to utilize this connection? I can't remember if the plug is the same in both locations.

Do you need any more testers?

Mike

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
That connector is a b**** to work with.

The connector on the boost sensor is on a pigtail of wire about 4" long. It connects to the engine harness at a much more accessible position. Will the BS be able to utilize this connection? I can't remember if the plug is the same in both locations.

Do you need any more testers?

Mike
If you unbolt the AC compressor as Eric pointed out, I don't see any real problem getting to the MAP connector. The other one you are talking about is harder to get to compared to the AC route. However, I would strongly suggest getting the extension that Kennedy sells if you are going to be putting the BS in and out so you don't have to "go deep" every time.

No more testers at this time. Thank you.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.