Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

In early March, we went out of state to purchase a new GMC 3500 DRW SLT 4X4 Crew Cab/Long Bed LLY/Ally to pull a new RV KZ Toy Hauler that we're waiting for. I'm always pretty anal about servicing our vehicles but, since this is our first diesel, I'm not sure where to go for service.

Because diesels are the exception rather than the rule for most dealers, and recognizing that the dealer's may not have long-term diesel mechanics on staff, how do you know if they are really qualified to do even routine maintenance? I only have about 1,600 miles and I'm already wondering about how to find someone competent to do the work.

I spoke with the Svc. Mgr's. at 2 different local GMC dealers today. The first wasn't sure how long his best diesel mechanic had been there, and the second didn't want to give me any information about his mechanic's training, experience, etc. When asked whether he wanted to work on my truck, he said NO! Was I out of line asking these questions? Should I continue to search out another GMC dealer, seek out an MDT dealership that may routinely service more diesels, or is there another strategy that everyone uses? My long-standing mechanic says he can work on it, but he specializes in foreign car repair and I'm not sure that's the best place to take this truck, even for routine issues.

I even emailed GM and asked if they would share the name of a local dealer who received high customer satisfaction ratings for diesel service and told them I would travel 100 miles if necessary. They responded that they recommend All their dealers. Well, that's like picking a doctor out of the yellow pages. How do you all go about finding a decent mechanic to work on these things? Any suggestions are appreciated.

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
hehe... picking a doctor out of the yellow pages LOL

There was a post a while back that listed qualified mechanics that went through all the diesel training.

Anybody know where that post is to help this guy out?

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
I will see if I can put a list togather of what his/her minimum training requirements should be...

I dont recall that post Hoot.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate the offers for help so far. Anybody else have any thoughts on this subject? Come on guys, I'm depending on you all for some advice. Afterall, if I can't get it here from this collection of experts and enthusiasts, I probably can't get it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts