Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased from Merchant Automotive around the first of the new year. I had trouble deciding if I should just cut the fancy weather pack connector off, OR should I try to find the correct male connector for that 'factory' finished look. Well, I went for the factory look. Found the correct connector parts at the local NAPA. Spent around $12 for the parts, and that included the pin removal tool (an absolute requirement to remove the pins). Roughed out a template, found the exact center-line of the box, mounted template, marked, drilled/filed and mounted... PRESTO! One factory fresh rear marker light.

More pictures in my garage... Cheers.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
How 'bout one more pic of the finished look from the rear? And you need to get some VR Straps now (Uh, Eric has them, too).

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's one of the finished install...

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Very nice job.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
mt-max;1599931; said:
Purchased from Merchant Automotive around the first of the new year. I had trouble deciding if I should just cut the fancy weather pack connector off, OR should I try to find the correct male connector for that 'factory' finished look. Well, I went for the factory look. Found the correct connector parts at the local NAPA. Spent around $12 for the parts, and that included the pin removal tool (an absolute requirement to remove the pins). Roughed out a template, found the exact center-line of the box, mounted template, marked, drilled/filed and mounted... PRESTO! One factory fresh rear marker light.

More pictures in my garage... Cheers.
Say more about your electrical hookup (I've got the same lights sitting in the garage waiting for spring to come). The light comes with the female connector, you bought the male connector to plug it into and what did you do at the output end of the male connector?

Thanks, DEWFPO

·
Registered
395 Posts
subscribing

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DEWFPO;1615311; said:
Say more about your electrical hookup (I've got the same lights sitting in the garage waiting for spring to come). The light comes with the female connector, you bought the male connector to plug it into and what did you do at the output end of the male connector?

Thanks, DEWFPO
I purchased the 'pin removal tool' so I could take the individual female pins out of the factory connector... this meant drilling a 'smaller' hole. YOU CAN NOT remove the pins from the connector without this tool. I removed the license plate light harness from the driver's side rear e-block. I pulled some of the license plate wires out of the factory loom so I could solder in two new wires that would supply 12v and ground for the rear marker light. I then stripped and soldered the NAPA-sourced male pins to these... remember to slide the rubber seals over the wires BEFORE you solder. Snap the male pins into the new connector, re-install the license plate wiring harness, route your new rear marker harness, re-install the female pins into their connector, plug it in and there ya go... one FACTORY FRESH install.
cheers.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh yeah... I should clarify what was purchased at parts store: 1-pin removal tool, 2-male pins, 2-rubber wire seals, and 1-male connector housing. I would have purchased a pre-wired male connector if they had one, but instead purchased all the connector parts individually. They do sell a 'fancy' crimping tool specifically for these pins, but I just used a pair of 'cheapy' crimpers I already had in the tool box. Cheers.

·
Banned
1,390 Posts
Very nice installation job! I needed some black RTV to neaten mine up from the inside and used some stn. st'l #10 bolts and locknuts in the holes provided in the light bar. I also soldered into the license light wiring. Mine looks as good as yours from the outside but not as good inside:eek:: ...

·
Registered
462 Posts
Great Factory look.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Lookin good! I know I love mine!

·
Registered
919 Posts
Looks good! It was one of the first mods I did to my truck.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Looks good.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks to all for the 'Nods'...

Just an FYI... the clear 'goop' visible in the photo of the wiring is clear sealant, figured it might keep the potential for rust to a minimum. Cheers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts